Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sailormass

Grading Lot--Is Builder Being Truthful?

sailormass
12 years ago

Hi--I just joined gardenweb but have been consulting it for helpful posts for a very long time. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I'm buying a new house that is being built by a reputable developer/builder in a new subdivision. My lot backs onto woods and conservation land. There is quite a bit of ledge on the edges of the development and the builder finished blasting a few weeks ago.

Here's my question: the builder has cleared my lot and put in the foundation footings. In my backyard, the lot stretches back evenly, then slopes slightly downward into the conservation area. The area where the ledge had been the builder has filled with large stones and boulders of various sizes (in other words, he had "built up" the area that had been ledge to make it even with the back of the house).

I was concerned about this, not knowing anything about grading. The builder told me that the stones would be compacted and backfilling along with the addition of soil and loam, would be completed.

I think the builder is trustworthy, but I don't quite understand his explanation and couldn't elicit anything clearer. Is this the proper way to build up and grade a backyard or should I be concerned about the pile-up of rocks behind the house? (I do know he'll do a final grade).

Hope this was clear enough and many thanks.

Comments (3)