Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grading Lot--Is Builder Being Truthful?

Posted by sailormass none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 21:56

Hi--I just joined gardenweb but have been consulting it for helpful posts for a very long time. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I'm buying a new house that is being built by a reputable developer/builder in a new subdivision. My lot backs onto woods and conservation land. There is quite a bit of ledge on the edges of the development and the builder finished blasting a few weeks ago.

Here's my question: the builder has cleared my lot and put in the foundation footings. In my backyard, the lot stretches back evenly, then slopes slightly downward into the conservation area. The area where the ledge had been the builder has filled with large stones and boulders of various sizes (in other words, he had "built up" the area that had been ledge to make it even with the back of the house).

I was concerned about this, not knowing anything about grading. The builder told me that the stones would be compacted and backfilling along with the addition of soil and loam, would be completed.

I think the builder is trustworthy, but I don't quite understand his explanation and couldn't elicit anything clearer. Is this the proper way to build up and grade a backyard or should I be concerned about the pile-up of rocks behind the house? (I do know he'll do a final grade).

Hope this was clear enough and many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grading Lot--Is Builder Being Truthful?

There is quite a bit of ledge on the edges of the development and the builder finished blasting a few weeks ago. This terminology sounds regional. Please explain in plain English what this means. It never hurts to include a picture that shows the context. (paste the picture html code from your photo-hosting site into the message to post.)

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 23:27

I second the picture...I started reading the post and had no idea what you where talking about.

o

The user name here suggests to me that this OP may be building in that area south of Boston where builders have worked miracles constructing/blasting housing developments on ledge rock and granite. Wherever it is located if the builder has had extensive experience building in this type of situation and is using backhoe operators familiar and skilled in this type project....that's the critical answer to this question. You want to meet, talk with and have the final grading project explained to you by the person who will do the actual work. If your builder will not arrange this then you should feel uncomfortable and arrange a consultation with an area Landscape Architect for guidance. Use a LA in this situation. Question how the back of your property will join the conservation land. If there is a drop between the two should a retaining wall be installed?

Here on this Forum we have really not given credit to those heavy machine operators who often are the backbone of our planning. But, that's a subject for another discussion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here