Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with retaining wall lumber size ?

Posted by cimmaryn GA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 22:02

I am planning to replace a railroad tie wall with landscape timbers. Quotes I have gotten indicate 6X6X8 is the size to use. Any reason I could not use 4X4X8 instead? I can get a better price on this size, comparatively. I just don't know if there is a particular reason to use the larger size.

The wall will be 6-8 ft. tall. -- approximately 1500 square ft. total.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with retaining wall lumber size ?

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 9:09

4x4 is not strong enough. In fact, 6x6 is only strong enough if designed properly for the application.

Walls over 4' high are required by state law (I believe every state) to have a structural engineer involved. Yes, people build them over 4' without an engineer and get away with it. It is only a problem when it fails and wrecks property or injures or kills someone. Then you are in really big trouble as well as well as having to deal with the loss.

o

You will also need a building permit as well and unless the permit application reflects a correctly structurally designed wall that meets code, it won't be issued. Attempting to short circuit these procedures could result in your needing to dismantle and rebuild the wall correctly, which would be a huge and unnecessary expense.

o

Thank you for the input. If I hire a structural engineer, is there any reason I cannot build the wall to his specifications myself?

Would I be better off using railroad ties, instead of landscaping timbers?

Thanks!

o

Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 15:52

Yes, you could build it yourself. Design the layout and heights of the wall before you get involved with the engineer no matter what quality of drafting you have. That can reduce the amount of time it takes for the engineer to understand what you want at minimum and save a lot of design time if you have better developed plans.

o

Thank you!

K

o

Hi there!
If you need any kind of drafting assistance, just drop a mail, I assure you a high quality of drafting with an economical base.

o

Wed, Feb 16, 11 at 21:26

Two years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here