Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berm landscaping

Posted by brighturday 4a (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 22:59

Help.... We have a berm in our back yard that is the entire width of our year. It is relatively steep with the main intention to give us a little more privacy. Right now we have evergreens, a maple tree, crab apple tree and two elms that are staggered nicely. From what I understand many of these trees were not planted deep enough or were planted two deep. Which we have a relatively busy street behind us so to have some privacy is important. So aside from the fact we could loose some of these trees I am looking to rough it up a little so we do not have to mow it. being that it is rather steep it is hard to mow plus it is hard to keep it water w/o the water rolling back down the berm. I would love any suggestions on what we could put on the berm in addition to the trees we currenty have. All the homes in our neighborhood that back up to this street have the same berm and trees so I want to make sure it is tasteful. I thought maybe putting in a few more trees, maybe some sumac. I also thought of dogwoods. Help... Thanks for any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berm landscaping

You have the perfect opportunity to plant a hill of native species that thrive in dry soils and will attract birds. A variety of sumacs, certain dry-tolerant dogwoods, eastern red cedars, black chokeberries, ninebark. Many of these shrubs colonize well. Over time they will form a thicket. You can also plant some tap-rooted dry tolerant trees for a natural succession. At first it will require maintenance to keep the berm from becoming weedy. You'll also have to water for a time until plants gets established.

o

I suggest you post a picture(s) on the thread that shows the overall berm as it is.

o

Here's a photo of our berm/island;

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 12:05

I have a hard time relating to some Florida landscapes and I have been there many times.
Gads!
Mike

o

This makes me think we should have a thread where people post photos of a vignette in their yard and have people guess where they live just based on that. Botann's photos tend to loudly suggest PNW and Susieq07's photos shout Gulf of Mexico.

o

I would know suzieq07's instantly from past shared photos - everything has a blue and white color scheme. :-)

o

I would recognize suzieq07's instantly from past shared photos - everything has a blue and white color scheme. :-)

o
RE: Berm landscaping...

I'm so positive, I had to say it twice!

o

If your home looked like this what colors would you use, all flowers outside my home are pink, white, blue or lavender, no colors that clash but only enhance.. very picky that way!
See how pretty pink looks with my teal blue,Yes,I am on the Gulf side of FL. in pradise...

o

Brighterday, the original poster, has her gardening zone listed as "4a". No way is that in Florida!

Maybe she meant her post was a "foray"...? (an attack or incursion into enemy territory)

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here