Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyxz123

My Garden Planter

amyxz123
12 years ago

Hi,

I am going to buy a long planter(about 14ft) to put it in my backyard, what vegetables or flowers can I plant? planter dimension: 14'L*14"W*12.5"H. I perfer long planter but will there be many problems on the maintanence? The two ends of planter are metal, but the body is composite, my husband said it's too strange and ugly, so I wonder your thoughts about it?

Our house decoration is going to be finished,planter is the last one.So it's urgent.Thanks!

Amy

Comments (18)

• bahia
    12 years ago

The height by width dimensions aren't really ideal for best growth of many plants, I personally always prefer larger dimensions if you can fit it in. You might get better responded if you told the forum what you want to grow in the planter, your climate zone, maybe a photo of where you intend to place it, etc. The main reason I like larger sized containers is that the soil doesn't dry out as quickly allowing plants to grow better.,

• amyxz123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 0:05

---------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you! My house is located in Carlsbad,I know that dimension is not large, but it costs less and lighter.The soil dry out quickly problem I've considered, so I plan to buy a sprinkler system, it'll be also good for the lawn in my yard.

Does it really not suitable for any plants? What about vine or herbs?

Amy

• bahia
    12 years ago

You'd be better off having separate valves/watering systems for a lawn and planter box, the run times for the two are entirely different. A drip.soaked lone for the planter can work well, I'd stick with less thirsty plant types for such a small soil volume, succulents would be my first choice because they better tolerate limited soil depth and less frequent irrigation.

If weight is your primary concern, you could line up a series of shorter planter lengths of greater width and depth for better plant growth.

• bagelk
    12 years ago

I think your planter is large enough to plant many different things, including veggies and flowers, but it depends on how much sun it will get. For veggies and herbs you'll need a full/part sun, and a drip watering system will be needed (you can buy a set). There are a lot of people who don't have a garden, but successfully grow many different plants in containers. If you are interested in this google "Earthbox" and "square foot gardening". If it is in the shade, you still can plant a lot of nice and flowering plants. You'll have to decide if you want annuals or perennials there. You won't be able to grow anything very big of course, like trees or larger shrubs, but otherwise there is a lot to choose from. Most important thing though, is to have a good potting soil. You can buy mixes from big box stores, but these will have to be replaced at least every other year, and it is a lot of soil. There are better mixes which will last longer, and which you can prepare yourself, but you'll have to search for recipes. If I were you, I'd post this question on Container Garden forum too.

• amyxz123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 0:58
    What about the material? I've never used composite materials before, and I'm not sure whether I should buy vinyl or fiberglass planter. Personally, I prefer fiberglass planter, but the two ends are matel materials, is that strange?

Amy

• amyxz123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by bagelk 6b (My Page) on Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 17:15
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you very much, I'm going to plant mini rose and verbena because there is much sunshine all the year round here.
    The only problem I'm concerning about is the appearance--composite and metal ends.What do you think about that?

Amy

• bagelk
    12 years ago

Miniature roses and verbena are great choices. You could also add lavender, it looks good with roses and smells nice too. There is nothing wrong with having two different materials (fiberglass and metal) as long as you like how it looks. Nobody else can judge that without a picture. Metal will be hot in the sun, but it is probably OK, since it is only at the ends. Also, light colored containers are better because they don't get heated as much as dark colors.

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

What I've always done with long narrow planters is to put the plants individually in the biggest plastic pots that will fit in the planter and then put the plants (in the pots) inside the planter. I generously mulch around the pots until you can't see the plastic pots. When the plants take off, you can't tell they are in separate pots. If one dies, you just yank out the pot and replace. It saves heaps on watering and wear and tear on expensive planters.

• amyxz123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by daisychain01 3 (My Page) on Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 23:05
    Thanks for your interesting suggestion,I'll purchase some pots in the online shop which may be suitable to this narrow and long planter(I really like it very much.)

Amy

• bahia
    12 years ago

That concept works even better if you go larger and plop in 5 or 15 gallon size containers within a built up open at top and bottom wood or metal sided planter. In my opinion, the small size planter you're suggesting just look cheap and too small to look good in most situations, plus they really are on the PITA side of being difficult to grow plants well if they aren't resiliant to moisture stress between waterings.

• amyxz123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 1:58
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you, but it's not cheap, $820/pc, I bought 2pcs, so the planters cost $1640. I like it because it looks simple but luxury. If I attach a fence or trellis on one of the planter side, which desgin and material do you suggest?

Amy

• pls8xx
    12 years ago

$1640 ??? wow, I need to start building planters. I could do a concrete planter that size and cover it with a veneer of polished marble or granite for $1200 and still make a profit.

• bahia
    12 years ago

I think you need to post a picture for a better sense of context here. I agree that as you've described it the cost per unit seems excessive. Usually such planters are used on top of a deck or as a window box attached to walls, at the top of a deck railing or below a window. If setting over soil, it doesn't sound as if the scale suits the purpose. As to attaching a fence or trellis to the side of such a low planter, it is possible, but again seems a bit undersized. If you were to post photos of the planters, your garden and where you want to locate them, maybe it will all make more sense.

• amyxz123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 14:00
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    I just can't open the website until now. The planter is customerized and it'll arrive at my home 10 days later, then I'll post a picture here. Now I post a similar planter first, dimensions are silimar but mine is much longer.
    Which site is suitable for it? Frontyard, backyard alongside the fence or decking?

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:12630}}

• amyxz123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by bagelk 6b (My Page) on Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 20:38
    Do you think I should attach the fence on the long planter to put it in my frontyard?

Amy

• drtygrl
    12 years ago

Wow. Did you order it already? Or are you just weighing your options?

• botann
    12 years ago

That's a lot of money just for a container. I'd skip it and buy plants for the ground. Lotsa plants.
    I'd like to see where you plan on putting this planter. It would have to be next to the pool in my opinion to justify the cost.
    I think you will find out it's a headache to keep almost anything alive in it. Sedums and succulents being the exception.
    Have you raised any plants in a container before, and had success? Have you gardened in the dirt before?
    Mike