Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snipcod

patio and landscape design help

snipcod
10 years ago

Hello my name is Cody. Come spring I will start landscaping my backyard. I've never designed a yard before but thought it to be a fun challenge. Having never done one I was looking for guidance and advice. I've come up with a rendering using Sketchup that I believe to be promising. Any input will be great appreciated or design ideas of your own. My goal is to use up the grass area leaving only grass on the other side. I have far too much of it which is costly to water.

{{gwi:12898}}

This post was edited by snipcod on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 5:41

Comments (11)

• designoline6
    10 years ago

My design,some different.

• snipcod
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the idea. I would like to keep the grass on the west side (right side from my camera view). Dog needs a small run and also good for yard games like Kubb. I was hoping for more flowers in mine like in yours, thought the large rock area of the pond would be a good flower bed. The large raised one I plan to use as a vege garden.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Is the blue with the bridge over it a pool or just a pond? Or is it not even water?

You mentioned patio design too. Maybe you don't entertain at all, but for resale a generous patio is a good thing! The renegade gardener's site is one of the best for tips on everything, and his "Don't Do That," archive has a topic on Don't Make your patio too small.

What is your planting zone?
    Suzi

Here is a link that might be useful: The Renegrade Gardener Site

• snipcod
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The blue is a pond. Wanted one for many years. Was even thinking of stocking it with native fish like Trout or Sunfish. Since I made this plan I have though about changing the waterfall so that I may see it from my house and else where on the patio and the yard. Might do a long slope run with stone that wraps about the pergola.
    Thank you for the telling me about the Renegrade. Looks to be much to be learned from him. The patio I have designed will be around 340 sq ft which puts me at his larger size. I was a bit concerned my patio might be on the smaller side, though now it sounds like it is okay. To give you an idea on the scale the pergola is 12'x12' and the back of my house to the fence by the garage is 63'

I am in zone 5a in Colorado.

side note. I am not set on the rock garden on the south end. It just gets very little light and I want to leave that space mostly open for a future garage expansion.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

You are more in the Renegade's Zone range! He cant do much for me, but I love his attitude!

Snipcod, go to your profile and put your zone in there in the zone cell. That will help everyone on Garden Web help you with all of your questions. I would suggest Citrus, Olive, Roses, and all things Mediterranean, but they won't grow well for you, and I have no clue what will.

Aside from that, a stocked trout pool is exciting! You will really have to keep that water moving and cold. So you sit on your large patio and reel dinner in? Officially jealous!!

Suzi

• designoline6
    10 years ago

Other unlimited design

• designoline6
    10 years ago

Hope you select some ideas.

• designoline6
    10 years ago

There are rich ideas,you select.

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

The structure looks to me as if it hides the view of the waterfall when looking from the house. I would like to gaze out at my waterfall.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Cody, there are some good things going on in your plan that make it clear you have an artistic bent: The shape, lay and proportions of the central walk are quite handsome. The lawn is pleasing in shape and size. The layout seems to contain an evenly distributed balance of visual "weight."

On the other hand, there are some aspects of the plan that seem less than ideal, or less efficient than they otherwise could be: What looks like a conversation pit or fire pit area faces the nearby storage building and has its back to the overall yard ... as if it is being made to face the wall as a punishment for misbehaving! Why not incorporate it in such a way that while seated there, one can enjoy many of the interesting features of the yard?

Many features of the yard seem entirely separate from the house. Other than looking out the door or window, one must leave the house completely in order to be in, and enjoy the yard. The flow of enjoyment would begin immediately, as one steps outside, if there was a deck or patio closer to the door level.

The plan has a bit of a disjointed character. Features are lined up in sequence, but the conversation pit area does not flow to the vine covered lanai and vice versa. I think it should have better pedestrian flow.

The pond is not an efficient shape so will cost more to install and require more effort to maintain. The most efficient shape would be a circle and the least, a star-fish shape. This one has elements of both.

In general, it's a bad idea to create a corner where walls join at an acute angle ...even if it's underwater. They should be 90* or greater. Where the water terminates at the conversation pit creates such a corner. Where the narrow bridge meets the landing creates the ILLUSION of same. It could be repositioned a little better.

There are two distinct families of shapes being used to create features. It has a certain appeal to some people and you may be able to pull it off. I don't think it is completely resolved yet so that it works completely in a pleasing way. Some of it is disconcerting ...

There is an indentation in the edge of the pond that causes it to looked pinched. This would make sense if there was an object -- like a tree -- near the center of the circle formed by this pinched edge.

As a practical concern, even the most minor splashing water features splashes in quite a wide spreading pattern. You might consider placing the waterfall where the basin is much larger ... or vice versa.

In spite of my criticisms (which, hopefully, will be taken as "constructive" as that's how they are intended) I think you show a lot of promise in being able to create interesting and pleasant spaces. And you're not afraid of an ambitious project! I think you can re-work some of features into an improved overall plan.

\\