Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for foundation planting under the following condition

Posted by editornj 7 Coastal NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 8:03

Hi there,

I have a slope on the South/West side of my house that is dangerous to mow. It's about 15 feet long, and I'd like the bed to be about 4 to 5 feet deep. There aren't any windows.

We get really harsh winds from the bay so I guess it should be something that will hold up during the winter. During the summer it would be hot day and afternoon sun.

Evergreen would be awesome. Flowering would be great (but I guess you can't have it all?) Maybe a few 6' shrubs, then some 3' shrubs? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for foundation planting under the following condi

Your first problem will be that once the grass/weeds are removed from this slope you have opened it up to erosion. So it would be best to terrace across the slope with railroad ties or rocks to stabilize it. Then plant ten beach plum bushes (Prunus maritima) on the slope underplanted with either Bar Harbor juniper (Juniperous horizontalis 'Bar Harbor') or Shore juniper (Juniperous conferta) which will remain low growing and in time cover the slope. This will give you all year green plus decidous shrubs which bloom in the spring and bear a fruiting crop for jelly and pies. All three plant types will grow well in the adverse situation you describe.

o
RE: Suggestions for foundation planting under the following condi

Great, thanks! The junipers will be very slow to spread, no? At least the ones I have on the southeast side of the house have barely grown in the past two years.

Very helpful. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here