Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help redesigning front bed

Posted by bocron z7a GA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 8:47

This is the bed in the front of my house. It is an area that is between the front stoop and the other door is the kitchen porch door. As you can see from the pics it was planted with some evergreens and some summer annual. Everything in the bed has now been removed except for some Helleborous that is clustered on the end furthest from the front door. I will leave that if possible.
The issue with the bed is that a) it doesn't drain very well and to fix the drainage would be very costly at this point and b) the 2/3 up against the house is TOTAL shade and then the front part (where the annuals are) is baking sun due to the position of the house.
I was thinking rock garden and a bench, maybe some conifers? I'm at a loss, I know it could be really charming, just need some ideas.

Photobucket

Here's a pic of the whole house, area in question is between the front door (center of house) over to kitchen door (toward left).

home

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help redesigning front bed

Here are some pics of the bed today, will finish clearing it this weekend. The ferns will probably get moved (DH loves them I hate them, there too messy).

Photobucket

Note the small clump of Lenten rose on left. There was a beautiful Daphne there for years. It was killed by a tree that knocked the gutter off the house and the gutter sliced the Daphne down the center, so the locale is good for a Daphne.
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here