Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help plants stink!

Posted by shades New Jersey (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 4, 11 at 9:23

Newbie needs some help. I hope this is the right spot to post and someone can offer some good advice....I have a sort of hedge in front of my front porch. It runs for about 15 feet on either side of our front steps and the problem is it has an unpleasant odor. I think it is boxwood and we don't even like opening the windows at certain times of the year. I want to remove it and plant something that will look good and possibly have a nice fragrance...any recommendations...THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help plants stink!

Yup - most likely boxwood. Under certain conditions it will produce an aroma very similar to cat urine. Not nice!!

If you want a similar looking hedge-type plant, look at Japanese holly, Ilex crenata. These should be good to zone 5, are more tolerant of a range of planting conditions than boxwood and do not discolor in winter. And they have no particular odor, either good or bad.

If you could reveal your zone and sun and soil conditions, there may be some other good choices as well.

o
RE: Help plants stink!

You nailed it with the cat urine smell! I live in New Jersy and the area gets sun about half the day. Thanks for your recommendations! Either one will be a big improvement although if I could get something with a nicefragrant smell I would love it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here