Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscaping Ideas for South Florida Home

Posted by amazinjess florida (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 3, 11 at 9:41

I live in Fort Lauderdale, my home gets alot of the South Florida heat. I want to change my front yard, I want more of a colorful array of flowers/plants in my front yard but I know nothing about flowers or plants. Also I know because of our climate we have a limited choices of flowers to choose from. I also would like a floral scent whenever I get out of my car. As you can see my driveway is smack in the middle of my front yard, which I don't mind but its all green and not very colorful. I love the palm trees though and do not plan on getting rid of those. See the photos below.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscaping Ideas for South Florida Home

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 3, 11 at 15:21

White flowers usually are the most fragrant: citrus blossoms, jasmines, gardenias. Check with your local nursery to learn which will do best in your climate and plant them in strategic locations to enjoy the scent. For color, consider using foliage: crotons, bromeliads (especially neoregelias), or coleus will provide lots of color and are easy to care for. You can even mount some of the bromeliads on your palm trunks for color. If you must have flowers, ask at your nursery for low-growing shrubs with a long bloom period. Some flowers put on a very brief show, not worth the trouble, but others will bloom and bloom.

o
RE: Flower Ideas for South Florida Home

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 4, 11 at 12:55

A few more ideas for you. Plumeria -- how could I forget? So fragrant, and so many colors to choose from. They will grow to small tree size where you live, so plan accordingly.

Another colorful option -- ti plants, or cordyline fruticosa -- many colors, shapes and sizes ranging from greens to vivid pinks, burgundies, and combinations.

Don't overlook exotic anthuriums, very long-lasting waxy flowers in shades of red, pink, green, purple. They will brighten your shady areas with tropical punch.

Perhaps you can grow heliconias and torch gingers -- a lasting display of exuberant tropical colors and exotic forms. These can be large or small, be sure you know mature size before you buy.

Ixora -- I understand this is fairly common in South Florida, but they make a colorful contribution, are somewhat compact, and the lacy effect of the flowers will be a contrast to some of the others I've mentioned.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

o
RE: Landscaping Ideas for South Florida Home

Hibiscus grow really well in climates like Florida... they are beautiful to look at but I'm not sure they carry much of a scent.

They did great in my yard in Houston, TX (90 degree days for five months out of the year)!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here