Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help choosing tall, narrow, around pool

Posted by ericsmith1985 KY (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 9:43

Hello everyone,
I'm looking for some tall, narrow, something green most of the year, to plant around my pool. The space is only about 2.5 feet wide. I would like something that grows roughly 8 feet tall.

I'm not a fan of conifers. And of course anything with "droppings" of sorts gets in the pool, clogs filters, etc.

Our weather is usually drought most of the summer.

I like the looks of a graham blandy boxwood or a sky pencil holly. I'm afraid the boxwood won't get tall enough, and I'm afriad the holly will dry out too easily (plus the berries and blooms concern me).

The space is between a 6 foot privacy fence (north edge) and a sidewalk along the pool (south edge), so it stays sunny there up to 6 feet until about 2pm each day.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help choosing tall, narrow, around pool

Not sure how this would do in your zone, but consider a Carolina Jessamine or a Confederate Jasmine. Both are vines, easily controlled.

What do you mean "the berries and blooms concern me"?

When we had a pool, daily skimming took care of things.

HTH.

o
RE: Need help choosing tall, narrow, around pool

Mother Nature really should turn her attention to hybridizing plants on demand designed for those difficult situations so often encountered by wishful property owners dreaming the impossible dream.

Eric, I have kicked around in this landscape business for many years searching for plants that do not shed blossoms, seeds, leaves, fruits or attract bees and wasps, etc. The spot you are describing is not suitable for plants unless you are willing to clean up after them. Mother Nature really has a very clever growing plan. Plant litter which drops to the ground cold composts encouraging the development of nutritious fungi which in turn plants utilize for healthy growth. And on it goes.

You are describing a very narrow planting area. Sky pencil holly probably will work best as they take well to pruning when their width outgrows the allotted space. Or, Skyrocket juniper is another consideration which takes shearing well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here