Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molly229

help with flower bed & retaining wall ideas

molly229
12 years ago

The flower bed in the middle of the back yard looks like a grave site. The retaining wall belongs to my neighbour. I have planted a few shrubs between the trees, but the roots of the trees are everywhere and planting is difficult.

I need ideas for both these areas. I was thinking of making that rectangular bed round.

Thoughts? suggestions??

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:13753}}

Comments (8)

• molly229
    Original Author
    12 years ago

here is another pic

Here is a link that might be useful:

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

Can you explain what your objective is? Entertaining? Play area? flowers? vegetable garden? Do like things simple? Lush?

What kind of trees are in the back? Do they provide needed shade?

Any chance of an aerial view off the internet for lot boundaries? Better yet would be a graphed outline.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    12 years ago

The fact that it is grave sized and shaped doesn't help much either. Small, isolated beds, unless built around an anchoring tree, never seem to look good to me. They look homespun old fashioned... like a brooch or doily for the yard. Also, that it's raised only makes that it's out of place more pronounced. The weeping cherry (if that's what it is) might warrant underplanting below, but it would look better if it was full looking (not empty) not raised, was round and kept simple (as in all one groundcover.) It looks like this yard could benefit more from some large shade tolerant shrubs along the perimeter hiding things that are not that good looking. Or some plantings around the deck area.

{{gwi:13753}}

{{gwi:13758}}

• designoline6
    12 years ago

Plant some bulbs could work.
    {{gwi:13759}}

• whitecap2
    12 years ago

I'd replace that sad, drooping little thing with a nice, tall evergreen, to screen off the property across the way. You could put your raised round bed around it (but don't let the dirt touch the bark of the tree.)

• molly229
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hithere, I live in Canada, in the Ottawa Valley. The little mushroom tree was planted 2 years ago. It grows about 9 feet tall and has beautiful weeping leaves on it. I like it and it is popular in my area. Along the chain link fence I have lilac bushes started. The trees are all maples and provide shade only along the back of the yard. We have cut down 33 trees that were in this yard. I will take another pic from the road so you get an idea of the lot.

We are in our late 40's with 1 son who is grown. We have no children. I am looking to fix the back yard so it's not alot of work as we are gone all summer to our travel trailer, on the weekends. I'm looking for something unique. My husband hates trees, and loves grass so I'm looking for a focul point in the middle of the back yard which is what I was trying to create with the grave looking flower bed.

Keep in mind we are looking to build a car and a half size garage where the shed is, so that will take up some of the yard.

• molly229
    Original Author
    12 years ago

another view of the back yard

• whitecap2
    12 years ago

Perhaps it feels a little overwhelmed by being asked to serve as a "focal point" for such a spacious area.