Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raised bed for a flower garden

Posted by rebc z6pa (rcesarz@comcast.net) on
Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 10:09

Hi all,

I have a difficult spot at the end of my driveway that I would like to landscape. It has 2 ash trees growing at the edge, with a ton of periwinkle and euonymous bushes. Everything looks scraggly and ugly. It is across the driveway from my very well tended flower garden so it looks even worse in comparison.

The soil is terrible and nothing will grow in the small area I reclaimed from the periwinkle, not even Lily of the Valley. My solution is to put in 2 of these raised beds from Gardener's Supply. My issue is that the shorter, 6" deep bed might not be deep enough for flowers. I'm fine with annuals but would love to put in some perennials so I don't have to plant every year. My plan was to buy 2 beds and put the taller parts next to each other for some height interest. I will put weed block cloth down over the periwinkle (double layers) and either mulch or stones around the edges to cover the cloth where the beds dont go. Ive thought about containers but the area is about 17ft long and that would be too many containers to buy/maintain! So my question is, do you think that the 6" height of the shorter bed is deep enough to plant flowers or should I go with a different bed solution? Im not a carpenter and my husband isnt any help in these types of situations so building a bed from scratch isnt really an option.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raised bed for a flower garden

I am once again fighting periwinkle. I am almost ready to use RoundUp. Would your bed look better if just the euonymous were removed?

It seems to me the planter boxes will be a temporary solution. Even 12" is not very deep for perrenials.

Do local high school boys look for work? It may be worth it to have the top six inches of "soil" removed. I've dug out my share of 20 year old hibiscus, etc. so I know it can be done. That would eradicate the periwinkle for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here