Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttyler_gw

How to find broken concrete for a patio

ttyler
15 years ago

I really appreciate everyone who replied to my post on the cheapest way to build a patio. I think I've decided to go with the broken concrete pieces for it. My question is other than Craigs List which doesn't have any for my area how else can I find to get free broken concrete pieces. Also does anybody have any links as to how to prepare my base for doing it this way.

Comments (6)

• deviant-duhziner
    15 years ago

Check with your local recycling centers, masonry contractors and the dump.

Get ready for some back breaking labor.

The weight of concrete is extraordinary heavy - somewhere in the 150 pounds per cubic foot.

Most sidewalks and patios have been poured to a thickness of 3.5 to 4 inches, So this will be the most commonly found thickness ( plus or minus )

Let's figure you found some broken concrete that was 4 inches thick.

The sub base that you prepare is directly dependent on the type of soil that you have and the climate.

In my area we have mostly clay soil , which is highly expansive.
    A 2 inch sub base of compacted class II aggregate would work out fine.
    I also have no freeze and thaw conditions.

So that means I would have to dig down 2 inches for the setting base ( the sub base ) and another 4 inches for the thickness of the broken concrete pieces in order have a finished grade with the surrounding existing grade.

If you have sandy loam soil you may be able to get away with just a leveling bed of sand, in which case you only need to dig down about a half to one inch plus the thickness of the 4 inch thick concrete for a total of 4.5 to 5 inches.

You'll need a couple of stakes, some string, and a carpenters level as well as a shovel and a wheel barrel.

Basically you're going to dig out the outline of the patio by about 5 to 6 inches, lay in a setting base, lay your broken concrete pieces ontop of the setting bed, level them and then back fill in between them.
    After which you will promptly make an appointment with a massage therapist or a chiropractor.

• alohamillion123
    15 years ago

Our local concrete supplier also takes it back in to recycle, so maybe check w/ your local company. Also, freecycle. org. I rec'd some a couple of years ago...the owner was so happy I was hauling it away that he and his neighbor helped load it =)

Responding to the previous poster: I agree it is hard work but you cannot beat the price...and any patio laying will be very labor intensive so I would not be shying away from this project- just expecting to work hard for a great result.

Good luck! Hope you will share pics once it is completed.
    Stacey =)

• gregbradley
    7 years ago

The only reference to the word "experience" or the word "problems" is your own post. Since the last post above your post is dated 7+ years ago, what post are you complaining about. Must be some other thread than this one.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

The response I was referring to was posted on the same day I replied and since has been deleted. It was from a mason offering his services (with phone number!!) with the excuse that this was too difficult a project for a homeowner to handle on their own.

I assume the Houzz powers that be deleted the post as it was pretty obvious spamming to generate business.

It gets a tad confusing when posts are deleted........:-)

• gregbradley
    7 years ago

Yes, I would not be happy with them for just making it disappear. They should have removed the offending text and stated the reason. THEN it would have all made sense. Sorry to add to the confusion.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz