Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion plants with Blue Spruce

Posted by RiverRaisinman MI (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 10:43

Hello,

I would like to add some color with my Blue Spruce that border the road in front of my property. Does anyone have some recommendations for shrubs to plant alongside my Blue Spruce? I am located in zone 5b and on a dirt road (dusty in summer). Here are some photos:
IMG_2188IMG_2186

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion plants with Blue Spruce

How tall & wide are you thinking?

o

For low maintenance, you could look into planting a row of ninebark shrubs. With a variety of foliage colors and mature sizes, you're likely to find something that would fit your taste, and I think their fall color would be beautiful against the blue spruce.

o

Ninebarks are a good shrub - love them left untrimmed so the branches arc. Mine just started showing the shaggy peeling bark last season, which is an added benefit to the shrub. I'm fonder of the chartreuse of the Dart's Gold than I am of most of the wine colored varieties.

I also like the red twig dogwood, but not sure I'd like to see a whole long row of them in your application. Depending on the amount of space you intend to use, I'd mix it up.

If not considered an invasive in MI, the barberries will give you color - an infill with Crimson Pygmy variety (very inexpensive at Walmart and the big boxes) would give you a good red to coppery green until buried by snow. You couldn't go too wrong with many things with the spruce backdrop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here