Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscaping a new patio space

Posted by woodswalker88 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 10:49

I just finished building a patio and now I have to figure out how to landscape the bare earth around it.

I already have a few seedlings from last year: a maple & oak tree & a redbud seedling. These are too small to really fill the place out. Maybe in 10 years!!

Meanwhile I am trying to figure out what kind of shrubs or groundcovers I can plant, which will do OK now when it is mostly sunny, but won't die off when those trees grow up & the area becomes shady.

if I plant Azaleas or Rhododendron, will it be too sunny for them now? The yard does receive 'partial' shade from other trees that are farther away in the yard. Still they will get a lot of sun in the summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscaping a new patio space

To get some feedback, you need to let people see the area. To post a picture(s) here, upload it to a photo-hosting service (there are many) then, while there, explore the "share" link to look for html code for the picture. Copy the code and paste it in the next message you compose. The picture should not be too close up and don't accidentally get the code for thumbnail size pictures.

o
RE: Landscaping a new patio space

I think this is a good opportunity to define the word "landscaping." The patio you just finished building is "landscaping." You scaped the land; you created pathways and places to be for people, water, and plants.

What you're doing now is plant selection for the land you've already scaped.

And a better description of the space will be helpful; but it will probably also work well to go to nurseries and see what plants you can actually get.

Karin L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here