Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taraz579

stone retaining wall?

taraz579
14 years ago

Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this, my name is Tara & I'm new here.

My fiancee & I want to plant a rather decent size veggie garden this year (approximately 10'X30') but the catch is it's on a hill. Probably about a 12 foot drop, within about 18' of length, so not too awful steep. That said, we are going to (attempt, rather) level off most of this incline (the majority of our one side yard) and have soil/fertilizer and what-not delivered. However, we need something for support.

Thus, we've been browsing stones for a retaining wall at the bottom. Does anybody have any experience with such a set-up? My father seems to think such a wall will need support inside the single layer of bricks/stones that also form the outer/decorative edge of the wall. Any thoughts on this? (I trust both my fiancee & my father...they are both very smart and constantly exceed my expectations with projects, etc)

My father also made the suggestion of using railroad ties instead. I would like to use these, IF they will hold up & last. I just like the more country/simple look of wood, versus stone, as we will have a stone patio only 15 feet away. Does anybody have any experience with RR tie walls, with such an incline & pressure behind it?

Any other ideas that I haven't considered?

thanks a bunch & have a great day!

tara

happy gardening :)

Comments (4)