Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fionasol

2 problems: Drainage & Narrow Space Design

fionasol
18 years ago

Here's the short version, the long version is below. I have a 7' wide x 45' long side yard with a grade needs to be adjusted to slope away from the house. After I deal with grading/drainage issues, I'm looking for some advice on how to design this part of my yard.

The Long Version (with photo links):

So, I moved into my first house--a great old (1880's) house-- about 4 years ago. Except for the narrow east yard, the house is on the highest part of the lot--the front lawn has a significant slope down to the sidewalk & street from the point where I'm taking the photo in the next link.

I started gardening like a maniac, and one of the first places that I started with was the long (45') & narrow (7') side yard on the east side of the house. People had given me tons of plants, and this side was mostly a place to get plants in the ground before they died. :)

When I started to prepare beds (everything was lawn when I started), I realized that my siding came almost down to ground level with just a glimpse of the old brick foundation showing. Knowing that I couldn't build a bed up any on this side of the house, I dug out the sod to create the new beds. Unfortunately, this has increased the slight slope toward the house--which is, of course, bad. From the picture in the 2nd link above, you can see the grassy pathway & the other bed to the left of the path. I know that both of these need to be dug out (since they are about 2-5" higher than the bed that I dug out by the house) and the grade needs to be adjusted to slope away from the house. However, my neighbor on this side has an even narrower piece of yard adjacent to mine. Probably about 4' wide, mostly sidewalk, with a little 1' dirt bed, which is about level with the high parts of my yard on this side of the house. Here's a photo of an aerial, which shows how close the houses are. (There's lots of pictures in the album that I've linked to, if you need other photos)

So, this is the spring that I'm finally going to tackle this project. I've started potting up all the plants from this side of the house in preparation. But, given the width constraint & height of my neighbors sidewalk/yard, I know that I won't be able to dig out & adjust the grade down enough, withough pulling water in from my neighbor's yard as well. So, I've been thinking that I'll also need to include some sort of drainage trench, pvc pipe, french drains, etc, that can drain out to the front lawn slope. But I'm not sure where to place it--how far from my foundation (I have 7' from foundation to property line).

Additionally, this is the main walkway from the front to the back of my house. For the past few years it's been a wavy grass path, that I liked alot--but after the grading & drainage has been corrected, it might be harder to have a weaving path. I'm looking for some advice on plant placement & design, which is a little tricky due to the long & narrow dimensions & need for a path.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yard Photo Album

Comments (9)

• adamante
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Another nightmare, this is way too big for me to imagine. It all looks good to me just the way it is, don't you need someone who knows what they are talking about to sort this out? It would have taken me three weeks to write your description alone.

• lpinkmountain
    18 years ago

Adorable house and garden! Great pics!
    Are you doing the drainage work yourself? I cringe at the thought of tackling something like that myself. Hopefully you'll get some advice from someone here who has tackled a project like that. I think the old garden looks good, so a variation on it will be good too, I don't see why you can't do wavy beds once the grading is done. I'd just maybe do a tad less waves. It does lend itself to a regular pattern repeated. Or even some type of climbers. Depends on your taste.

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    18 years ago

Run it down the center of the lawn area, but dig it out and recontour for a slight depression - even 1/2" to 1".

Run a perforated line like a French drain, with the perforated pipe covered with fabric to keep sand out. Fill to the surface with an 80% sand + 20% soil or compost mix. Almost a golf green soil base.

I use sand in lawns many time where I want a French drain effect and no gravel or rock showing. You can sow grass seed into the sandy French drain and it will still work.

It would not be exactly like the images in one album of mine, but you can see how I was using sand. The grass filled back again. The homeowner called a couple of months later to say that the saturated area had firmed up and the lawn grew in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out a few drain line images. Click to enlarge if needed.

• fionasol
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to mdvaden for the excellent images & examples! That was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

This is a project that has be preying on my mind since the first time I found water in my basement. I knew that I wouldn't be able to afford to contract this out to professionals (as much as I wish I could), so I've been working up to it for the last few years & have come to grips with the "nightmare". Besides, I have a great housemate (big & burly) right now, who volunteered to help me with the digging this spring. :)

Just fyi, yesterday I finished digging out a rain garden on the other side of the house. That side of the yard is graded a bit better and has enough room for the raingarden, so it will me a lot easier to direct downspout water to it. It's been raining today since the wee hours, and I managed to leave for work in a heavy downpour--so I got a good chance to see where all the water puddles & how I can redirect it. :)

Thanks for the responses. I'd love to hear from anyone else that might like to add their two cents!

• jimca05
    18 years ago

My pennys: consider the two different types of pipe used for drainage. The less expensive black perforated is great to gather/collect moisture from a wet area. Non perforated piping is used to transport the gathered water to another location. Its usually more expensive than the black but you don't need filter cloth.

• fionasol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just wanted to drop in a note of thanks for the advice I got on fixing my drainage problems.

I finally bit the bullet on this, and finished potting up all the plants & started digging. Corrected the slope away from the foundation, but left a little bit of a berm along the neighbor's fence so I wouldn't be pulling in ALL of their water too. Dug the trench down the center of the side yard, installed the gravel & PVC pipe sloping down to drain into the front yard. The power company line trimming crew was nice enough to drop off a huge load of free wood chips just as I was finishing up this project--so I temporarily have a wood chip path curving down the center of the side yard until I figure out what kind of path I want to install. :)

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Almost finished...

• lpinkmountain
    17 years ago

All I can say Fiona is WOW! I have total garden envy and really admire the amount of work you've put in to ALL your projects.

• deeje
    17 years ago

Oof! Now, THAT was a project. Great job! And you completed it so quickly; I wish I had your ambition!

• fionasol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! And just for fun, here's what I did with most of the dirt that I hauled out of the side yard--lawn furniture!. This project is posted over in Garden Junk, the link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn Furniture