Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised bed construction advice needed

Posted by mdgrdnr Md, (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 11:32

Hi all, new to this but could really use some advice.

Along the downward sloping side of my end-unit townhome, I would like to put a 3 tiered raised bed.

I don't have a picture, and can't get my drawing to paste - but the idea is simple. Three maybe 8 foot long by 4 foot deep wooden beds (maybe a foot high with part in the ground) tiered up to the front of the house.

The raised bed would be made of wood, but I can't really find suitable wood for it. Though it will have flowers in it, I also probably want to put in some edibles and don't wast to use pressure treated wood; however, I'm having a hard time finding any of the hardy outdoor woods (cedar or redwood) around and what is around is not the right size or too expensive.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised bed construction advice needed

What is your question about this project?

Cedar does not last near as long as popular belief has it. Redwood will be hard to find and very expensive. Probably a special order item.

To get your drawing to show up here (you can't paste it directly into the message) first, you must save it on your computer and then upload that saved picture to a photo-hosting site such as photo-bucket, picasa, flickr or the like. (It's free.) Once it's there, look for a link to "share" it. Sometimes there will be several choices of code for different size pictures or different uses. But under the "share" link find the picture's html code and paste it into your message here.

o
RE: Raised bed construction advice needed

I wouldn't use wood. You might consider something like poured concrete or brick... or landscape stone of some sort (bluestone slabs on edge, for instance).

But another option is to get the kind of marble or granite slab that is used for countertops - even the manufactured materials of that sort are good.

There is a marble/stone shop near me that always puts its off-cuts into the alley and a lot of my raised beds are sided with long narrow pieces I got there for free. But for that price they don't match, and I work with the sizes I get, or the odd time pay to have it cut (we've also done some cuts with a diamond blade).

If you wanted to pay for it, you could order pieces to size and pick a material with an optimal thickness. The regular thickness can be a bit fragile in some applications - and long thin pieces are that application. Obviously it needs to be held upright in place somehow too.

Finally, isn't there something on the market like a plastic wood? Trex or something? Can that be used in soil?

Karin L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here