Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf cone/pyramid shaped evergreen

Posted by karriej_2008 zone 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 08 at 12:04

I will have my new deck built in about 2 weeks, I am planning on planting evergreens and shrubs as the main landscape around the deck and in front of the house. I am having a difficult time finding descriptions of evergreens that stay smaller than 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide...are there such trees? And what shrubs go well with those? Finally, can I just plant any evergreen I like and use hedge shears to keep it the particular shape and size I want? Thanks - Karrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf cone/pyramid shaped evergreen

The Dwarf Alberta Spruce (Picea glauca Conica) is a miniature, cone-shaped tree that grows very slowly (2 to 4 inches per year) and rarely needs pruning. Height: 4 to 6 feet. Its dense, bright green foliage makes it attractive and is primarily a novelty specimen plant - even good for containers.

There are dwarf and miniature forms of many evergreens and conifers. Google Picea or Pinus or Thuja or Juniper or Taxus, etc.

And as with any shrub or growing thing, if you don't care for its natural shape, shear it into what ever you do like. I don't know what it is, every spring some folks turn into Edward Scissorhands and orbs on a stick and meatballs appear across the land.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here