Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to place a lamp post?

Posted by bungalow_babe (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 07 at 12:18

Hi,
I just discovered your site, and I'm hoping someone out there can advise me. I purchased a tall (nearly 8') 3 light lamp post on clearance last year and now need to figure exactly where I should put it. How does one know how much light will be cast by a lamp post of this height? Is there some kind of rule of thumb?

I want it to cast light on the walkway & stairs but the problem is this: The stairs go down either side of a small 6' wide porch. On the right side as you face the house there is a motion detector light that goes on when you hit the bottom step (if you are lucky). The left side has a small mission style lamp (that doesn't cast light very far) next to the left of the doorway.

I need the light on the left and I want some of the light on the right (as you face the house)... I think it needs to go somewhere in the middle, but I'd hate to have to dig up my hollies to put it there unless I really have to.

The other complicating factor is although the stairs have little balusters that let light in, the porch itself has a solid wall.

If the light will reach the steps, I'm thinking that I would like to place the post about 8' diagonally off the left of the porch making it almost even with the bottom step albeit about 6 feet west of the steps. I wonder how far the light will carry to the right from there and will it help as one descends the stairs?

I haven't built the walkway yet so I can be somewhat flexible in that regard. I chose to let the dogs select the best path as they will go there anyway whether I plan for it or not!

Who knew this would become such a stumbling block for me when I scoffed up the bargain light?! Thank you in advance for any help.
Regards, the baffled Bungalow-Babe!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to place a lamp post?

Too specific BB, spend the money you saved and call out an electrician or trial and error. Usually it is more efficient to work from the problem towards the solution. How much do you lose if you dump your bargain at the side of the road?

o

I have a similar light along the driveway. It is about 6 ft from the edge of the driveway due to a gas line - would have liked it a bit closer. At this point it does a fair job of lighting up the complete single car driveway.

I suggest you go out at night and find someone with a similar light and see how much light it gives off. Most larger estate homes have such a light at the end of the driveway.

o

Thanks Madtripper, that is encouraging... If yours lights up a whole driveway, mine should cover an 15 foot spread. I will go on patrol looking for a similar light.
Happy Spring!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here