Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental evergreens 2' tall?

Posted by dave11 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 12:28

Can anyone list any ornamental evergreens that stay naturally at 2-2.5 feet tall, will grow in Z6, tolerate full sun, and that are NOT boxwood or yew?

I'm trying to find something not commonly planted/overplanted.

They are for the front foundation wall of a house, that sorely needs it's foundation hidden, but the front windows start 2.5 feet above the ground.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental evergreens 2' tall?

Harbor Belle Nandina? I sure like the plant...but not suitable for my zone. Some say it can be invasive...might want to look into that.

I LOVE my scarletta fetterbush I bought last year....fits your requirements, however it needs partial/full shade. I plan on buying more this year.

o
RE: Ornamental evergreens 2' tall?

How high is the foundation you're trying to hide? For instance, if your foundation is 12" tall, you'd want the shrub to be at least that tall when you plant it. So then it couldn't grow more than 18" more before it would be too tall.

Plants keep growing till they die. A shrub's listed "mature" height is usually the average height at 10 years; dividing that by 10 will give you the average vertical growth per year.

So buy something that grows slowly, trim it once a year, and plan to replace it when it gets too tall.

I have a bunch of dwarf mugo/mugho pines (Pinus Mugo 'Pumilio') which provide some evergreen structure for a large flowerbed that gets full noon and afternoon sun. They're described as "prostrate" and "spreading;" mature size is supposed to be 2' tall x 5' wide. I'll begin to do some pruning to their tops in a few years, because I don't want them to be much more than 2'. They would be fine in your zone. Not too exciting -- no fancy color -- but I like them and they do their job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here