Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Plowing vs. gravel driveway with border

wi-sailorgirl
10 years ago

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum and I hope it is directed to the right place.

We have a long, existing gravel driveway with an apron. We've owned our house for 12 years and have done nothing as far as driveway maintenance beyond filling the occasional pothole so the driveway is in pretty sad shape .

While we'd love to pave it in some way, the quotes we've received suggest that is beyond our budget. We actually don't mind the look of a well-maintained gravel driveway, but because we are in Wisconsin, our driveway is plowed many times a year and as you can imagine, the gravel gets tossed around quite a bit.

I'm taken with the idea of a gravel driveway with some kind of border, either cobblestones or concrete, etc. that would help clean up the edge where the driveway meets the grass (I feel like our driveway has gotten wider every year just from the gravel being pushed around), and possibly help contain the gravel. My husband has concerns about how a border would stand up to plowing, but I continue to see photos of such driveways in places/circumstances where I assume plowing is routine.

I'd love to hear any thoughts, ideas or experiences on such driveways. Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)