Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Side Yard help needed

Posted by lauraella occa (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 12:51

Ok first the facts. We have spent the better part of the last 2 years updating our 22 yr old tract house in South Orange County, CA. The front is done and now I only have the back to finish.

Recently I had a gate put to access the side yard. Small as it may be, it is a pain! Of course just after we started working on it the rains came, then I had a mud pit. Now we have some nice weather so wanted to get something done.

The other area that needs to get finished is this small area at the end of the patio. Don't know why it wasn't cemented in, anyway, want to put down landscape fabric, sand and gravel to make just a nice gravel area for the fire pit.

Here are a few pics.

The side yard,looking towards the gate and the front of the house.
Photobucket
looking towards the back of the yard.
Photobucket

The small area I am working on now to get ready for fabric, sand and gravel.
Photobucket

I figured the smaller area would be easier to tackle now and once that is done start on the larger area.

I really want a garden on the side yard running from the gate to the end of the house. Then some sort of hard scape to run to the planter.

Have at it, I appreciate all opinions and everyone's time.

Thanks,

Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Side Yard help needed

Have you used landscape fabric before? It can really be a mess and most people end up ripping it out. Do you have a place to store all the stuff you have in that side yard? When I first looked at your picture I could picture in my mind what a beautiful area it could be. I'll be interested to see what you do with it.
Peace

o

Well we are working on the small area this weekend. I have gotten it graded and ready to go. In fact getting ready to go to Lowes right now! Will post pics when done. Figured on tackling one project at a time.

Yes the stuff on the side yard will be put away or disposed of. I always try to reuse things before trashing them. So some of the cement pieces are being used to fill in an area that needs to be leveled.

Toodles,

L

o
1 down 1 to go.

Well here it is! We finished the small area next to the BBQ yesterday! Nice to know we accomplished something!

Here are a few pics.
Photobucket
I worked on getting it to this point all week. Then yesterday we papered, put down some sand and then the gravel!

Photobucket
Photobucket

So much better!

Here are a few other pics I took last week of things I love in my garden!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Now on to plan the side yard, oy! That will be a big one!

Toodles,

Laura

o

The picture with the dachshund should be a good guide for what to go for...

1) details
2) functional space for your needs
3) the sense of an enclosed "room"
4) borrowing your neighbors plantings to aid in your "room"

The yellow spikey standard plant with the agate in the corner is a nice touch!

o

Thanks! The Yucca and the other tall plant were given to us by a friend moving to Oregon. I guess he didn't think they would do well up there. This area receives a lot of sun in the summer, so perfect for succulents and cacti!

Now I just need to find a nice bench, maybe a sunsail?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here