Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much will this small project cost?

Posted by editornj 7 Coastal NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 13:35

Forgive me. Even though I'm very slightly handy, I don't know the first thing about pricing.

How much do you think it would cost me to construct a fence and gate like the one in the link below?

I have 27.5 feet I'd like the fence to run. I don't need it to be too high. Just high enough to keep children in. I guess the gate should be about 4' wide. I'm thinking I need four 5' pressure treated 4x4s and two 10' ones.

I plan to grow some vines on the wire (or nylon?) mesh.

And by the way, I plan to take the thing down in a couple of years. It's just to easily keep track of some kids in the yard... don't want any wandering during a diaper change.

Must I cement the posts?

I have all the tools and saws and a hole digger. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much will this small project cost?

Here is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration for fence/gate

o
RE: How much will this small project cost?

I think you can get away without cementing the posts. The key issue is drainage if you want the posts to last any amount of time. They will stay up if you pack around them well. If your posts are good, you can change out what forms the actual fence at a later date.

As for the cost estimate, I think a half hour in the local building centre (or on its website) with a notepad will serve you better than any estimate the forum can come up with.

I will say that any self-respecting child may try to climb mesh where the holes are big enough for feet... so I'd go with a small mesh.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here