Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Full sun and little or no soil

Posted by ginarose GA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 13:37

I need help figuring out how to cover a small section of our yard exposed recently when we rebuilt our deck. We live in GA so the exposed section is mostly hard red clay, and because it was covered by the old deck, a small portion of it is cement under the red clay. Removing the cement is not an option. This is also a part of the yard that will have high foot traffic straight into our back door. It's about a 5x8ft space. Full sun.
I'd like to put something like moss down, but after researching it sounds like the full sun makes that impossible. River stones were also an option, but may be too expensive.
Does anyone have any suggestions for what we could do to cut down on the mud being tracked in through the back door?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Full sun and little or no soil

• Posted by mjsee Zone 7b, NC (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 18:18

How big an area? I'd be tempted to enlarge the deck...

o

Crushed granite?

o

It sounds like you will need "hardscape" and not living plant material to fit the high foot traffic itself even if you had better growing conditions. Hard to know what would look best without seeing the area and its relationship to your deck. So, a lower or floating deck, flagstones, crushed granite, or something like that. Again, the actual layout and where the logical pathway is and so on will determine whether the whole area is treated the same, or you create just pathway with some plantings to the side, or what.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here