Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happs_gw

Awnings

happs
12 years ago

I have two large west/northwest facing windows and despite having both of them tinted and 90% solar screens placed on them (which has cut down on the heat), the bright afternoon sun still shines through the windows in a blinding fashion. I don't have room in my backyard for large shade trees and they also wouldn't fit through the side gate.

I have considered retractable awnings, but they seem cost prohibitive ($2000 for a 15ft wide by 8ft deep section non-motorized) and I don't think they would hold up well in an summer monsoon, should you be out one evening and forget to retract the awning. An umbrella or a Coolaroo structure is too permanent and could be damaged by the monsoons if you forget to attend to them.

What do you all suggest as a maintenance and worry free method of sun control for west facing houses? For those that have retractable awnings, how have they held up to storms and heat? I see used awnings for sale at 1/3rd the cost of new, but don't know how transferable they are from one house to another.

Comments (3)