Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Awnings

Posted by happs Arizona (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 13:43

I have two large west/northwest facing windows and despite having both of them tinted and 90% solar screens placed on them (which has cut down on the heat), the bright afternoon sun still shines through the windows in a blinding fashion. I don't have room in my backyard for large shade trees and they also wouldn't fit through the side gate.

I have considered retractable awnings, but they seem cost prohibitive ($2000 for a 15ft wide by 8ft deep section non-motorized) and I don't think they would hold up well in an summer monsoon, should you be out one evening and forget to retract the awning. An umbrella or a Coolaroo structure is too permanent and could be damaged by the monsoons if you forget to attend to them.

What do you all suggest as a maintenance and worry free method of sun control for west facing houses? For those that have retractable awnings, how have they held up to storms and heat? I see used awnings for sale at 1/3rd the cost of new, but don't know how transferable they are from one house to another.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Awnings

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 18:23

Can you add a sturdy ramada or a vine-covered trellis? How much room do you have?

o

I know the problem TOO well!! I have south facing windows where I am patiently waiting for decidious tiny trees to grow up because it is so darned hot and windy. I have plans to build a largish arbor on the south side of my house and train wisteria up it. A fabric awning would easily get ripped to shreds in the wind here and the sun would make it toast in no time. For something very temporary, you might consider a fabric awning that attaches with velcro so the strong winds could blow through. One of my neighbors built a thick wooden wall in front of his windows that was done with 4x4s in concrete and then nailed 1x6s clear up from the bottom to the top in front of his window while he waits for tree to grow...

o

A trellis with louvers, like a louvered closet door. It would allow air circulation, and some light, but block the glare

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here