Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bay Area / San Mateo County Shade Trees

Posted by burlingarden 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 14:22

I'm looking for a recommendation for a shade tree for my backyard. I'd like to buy a more mature tree so I can get shade sooner. Lots of direct sun and the tree will be about 6-10 ft from our garage. Clay soil and relatively close to the Bay and the lot is only about 25 ft above sea level.

I mostly need summer shade so deciduous or evergreen are both fine. I would also like to have grass or plants growing relatively close to the base of the tree. I also prefer something without fruit since we are getting rid of a bunch of old apple and plum trees of our property now.

Thanks in advance. Happy to provide any other detail.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bay Area / San Mateo County Shade Trees

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 13:28

You might like to go walk around one of the fine labeled collections in the region and see if anything jumps out at you - nothing like seeing a developed specimen of a tree in person to get a good idea of how it might appear on your planting site.

San Francisco Botanic Garden
University of California Botanic Garden, Berkeley
University of California Arboretum, Davis
Etc.

o

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful.

Btw - talk to a tree guy I know and he suggested the following:

Raywood ash
Norway maple
Red horse chestnut
Red maple
Southern Magnolia
Trident maple

o

Knowing that the tree will be in close range to the garage , 6-10 feet, then I would think that a small growing tree would be more site appropriate.
These trees may be a good source to check out:
Acacia vestita - gracefuly weeping silvery cut leaf in form with soft yellow late winter flowers grows to about 16 ft tall and about the same in width.

Cercis canadensis Forest Pansy - nice burgundy heart shaped leaves that flutter in the wind. the tree grows to about 20 ft. tall and about 16 wide. Deep pink flowers in late winter /early spring .

Fruitless Olive - Swanhill - can get to 25 x 20 but easily can be kept smaller with once a year pruning.

Arbutus unedo or the larger growing A. marina ( maybe too large for your location - Madrone

Callistomon Cane's Hybrid. - gorgeous soft pinkish flowers cascading down from a 15 tall x15 wide tree. I have this growing in my Marin county yard and always receive nice feedback out its shape, form , foliage and flowering.

A trip to Flora Grubb Garden Nursery in SF will further help you to find some great trees or The Dry Garden on the Berkelely/Oakland line.

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 15:44

If you're in San Mateo Cty you must be near one of the very best nurseries in the entire Bay Area:

Golden Nursery
(650) 348-5525
1122 2nd ave
San Mateo, California 94401

Talk to them and see what they recommend. And remember, soil prep is 80% of the success in growing a good, strong tree.

We put a "moderate growth" liquidamber into a bed with 8" of compost dug into it, and it hit 25' in ten years. Beds that I didn't improve still got good growth, but need twice as much watering and fertilizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here