Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use of Martagon lilies

Posted by stormz4 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 21, 10 at 14:24

To all you designers, I would like your opinions on using the Martagon lily in a woodland setting. I currently am designing some woodland properties. This must be the year of shade gardens for me! I have four going for this spring and I can't wait. I read an article about the Martagon lily being used in a woodland setting. The pictures in the article look to be in fairly heavy shade. It is planted with the usual fern and hosta and the trees appear to be quite dense. I don't want to suggest this to my clients if I'm way off base here but can this truly thrive in so much shade? I have mostly seen this in sunny areas. Any thoughts about the use of this plant is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use of Martagon lilies

Deciduous forest is their native habitat - they will grow in shade, though part shade would be better.

o

Thanks timbu, I think I will consider this for my clients. Probably for the entry ways and as an accent spec.

o

Roy Forster and Alex Downie (The Woodland Garden) have this Lilly down as a plant of the woodland floor that does well in the moist woodlands of Eastern states and Canada. It says to "grow them on little tussocks or mounds of leafy gritty soil slightly raised above the woodland floor".

o

Was that information useful storm?

o

Thanks inkognito. Thought provoking. Why tussocks? Are they a fussy specimen? Are they grown that way in those areas because of ph or for better rooting? The article I was reading didn't have any suggested planting requirements. Yes this does help clearly I will need to research this more. Better yet I think I will experiment some in my own garden before I go down the road of using this in some designs. Oh was there anything said about after care?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here