Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laying pavers over existing sidewalk

Posted by blessedbe 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 14:30

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I couldn't find anything more suitable.

My house faces west. I have an existing sidewalk leading north, up toward my front porch door. There's a 90 degree left hand turn to get to the front steps. Between the house and the sidewalk is an area that I want to use as a planting bed. It's about 5 feet wide and runs the length of the sidewalk, about 12 feet. The sidewalk is about 3 feet wide. It's bordered on the right by a railroad tie. I have drainage problems in my yard, and have recently had a drainage box installed in the ground at the inside corner where the sidewalk makes the turn to lead to the front steps.

While I'm defining and improving the planting bed, I'd also like to raise the sidewalk so that it doesn't get as swamped when it pours here in Georgia (which it seems to all the time lately). I would extend the width of the walkway to take up more of the bare ground at the edge of the planting beds.

So, can I lay pavers over an old concrete sidewalk in GA? I would take out the top few inches of dirt from the edge of the bed so that the pavers covering that area are flush with the ones covering the concrete. I could use a plastic edger to put a tight edge on the left hand side of the walkway. I would use a layer of sand to seat the pavers. A couple of inches of bare ground would be to the left of walkway, then I would use landscape timbers or concerete edgers to define the beginning of the planting bed.

What do you guys think of that? In the process I could excavate more dirt to lower the grade down toward the new drainage box since the grade keeps it from living up to its full potential.

Thanks and sorry for the book I wrote!
Kelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laying pavers over existing sidewalk

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 7:03

Well, you will be raising the surface of your walk by at least 3". It is assumed that the walk eventually meets some steps. If so, you will have a dangerous situation with the bottom step being very much different from the rest of the steps.

o

There are only 2 steps and the they are very short ones. I don't believe the fist one is more then 3" so it should be flush with the step.

o

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 26, 10 at 17:55

Well then, it would be a non-issue.

o

i laid pavers over an old concrete patio 3 yrs ago and it has been fine. and i live in denver where it is constantly freezing/thawing.

o

You seem to have thought through the construction correctly, with edging and sand. You do need to compact the dirt so the section over dirt doesn't sink relative to the section over concrete. Of course if it does, you just need to lift the pavers and add more sand.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here