Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground cover flower

Posted by steveleb NTX (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 14:43

I live in North Dallas and have a Bradford pear tree and along with two of my neighbor trees. It seem that with all the trees combined they are blocking out a large portion of the sunlight to my front yard. This is causing a large bald spot in the yard. I was wondering if there is any ground covering flower that I could plant that would take over those spot preferably white.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground cover flower

Keep in mind that the decision to stop limbing up the tree (by removing lower branches) is an arbitrary decision made intentionally or by default. As a rule, Bradfords tend to branch low. If you remove some lower limbs periodically, raising the tree canopy, that's one way to get more light below the tree.

o

I cut the tree back, the problem is with the neighbors trees to the east block a good portion of sun.

o

When you say "take over" it makes me think you want to plant a few plants and then have them spread on their own. An invasive groundcover will do this but there may be a maintenance price to pay for it. (Bishop's weed, of course, comes to mind as one plant that would fill this bill. But seriously, It's hard to control unless surrounded by some kind of barriers. Nevertheless, I've seen in used successfully in many places. There are the more conventional groundovers: ajuga, vinca, ivy, pachysandra, etc. I think it'd be best to go to the largest local garden center and get an idea of what's available and talk to someone there about what you can expect from each plant.

"Cutting back" a tree is not the same as "limbing it up" so you might still have a way to improve the shade situation on that front.

o

Are you certain the bald spot is due to shade? Texas has a problem with water doesn't it and dry shade is maybe the most difficult growing conditions so perhaps this combo is the problem. Check this out and perhaps have a look at an alternative that needs neither sun nor water.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 13:23

This is the sort of question where reposting to the Texas forum may give you better advice tailored to your local circumstances. The list of ground cover type plants provided by Yardvaark may be an excellent start, but there are others that may expand the list or come closer to your preferences. I seem to recall that Trachelospermum asiaticum is quite commonly used in Dallas for shaded locations, and has rather inconspicuous white flowers. Tracheloapermum jasminoides is a showier flowering and _taller growing species with fragrant white flowers, but isn't as cold hardy and subject to occasional winter freeze damage in Dallas. Another very tough shade and drought tolerant flowering ground cover for these conditions might include the blue flowering Vinca major. Many people consider this somewhat invasive, but it will certainly take the conditions and look lush with less irrigation requires than the existing turf.

You might want to research appropriate shade and drought tolerant plant choices in a book such as Sunset Western Garden Book, I this k there is a similar book for the south published by Southern Living Magazine, a sister publication to Sunset Magazine.

o

Thanks everybody for so many great suggestions. There is alot to sort out. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here