Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brick home and raised bed choices

Posted by tlepard AR (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 14:57

We recently bought a house (our first!). It is a trilevel with brick on the bottom and yellow painted wood on the top. My fiance likes raised flower beds and was interested in putting them in the front. What material looks good for raised beds with a brick home? Or do you think that raised beds in this area wouldn't look good or shouldn't be put in because of the existing bushes? Also, should we keep the bushes or would you remove them? Thanks for any advice/suggestions you give!

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/12440-Southridge-Drive_Little-Rock_AR_72212_1113454170?source=hp

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brick home and raised bed choices

Hi neighbor,

It's not clear where you plan on putting the beds, or their arrangement. Looking at your house, I would say stay with the brick like what is on the house. If your brick is less pink/red as in the photo, you might like a polished granite for a slightly formal look. I don't know of any common Arkansas stone that would be a good match for the brick. Red landscape block would look hideous.

If your front steps are concrete, you might do poured concrete bed walls with the corners done in brick veneer or polished granite.

Are you looking for a DIY type project?

o

Hello! Thanks for your response. I am looking for a DIY project. I plan on making some beds in the front (left of the picture) for a vegetable garden. The backyard is all shade. I also thought the red landscape block would look horrible. My fiance thinks the grey landscape block would look good but I don't agree.

I'm so excited to do SOMETHING to the yard, but don't know what exactly to do yet!

o

Landscape block does not work that well for raised vegie gardens. If you size the bed width so you can reach in to the middle, then the bed has little soil width. Make them wider and you can no longer reach to the middle.

Garden beds here do better with a 12 inch soil depth. For those height walls, poured concrete is the way to go, especially where more than one bed is to be built. The cost is comparable to other materials, you get strong, no rot permanent beds, and you can add a veneer of thin brick, stone, or other treatment to make it look good. And a 3.5 inch wall thickness leaves lots of room for gardening in a 4' by 8'bed.

o

Need a link.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here