Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leonidsg

Retaining wall for garden on a slope

Leonidsg
10 years ago

Hello all I am in need of help building a retaining wall on a slope so I can make a garden. My backyard has a slope, 4:1 I think people call it. For every 4 feet of horizontal it drops 1 foot in vertical. I have the supplies to build a retaining wall however I had a few questions before I proceeded.

1. I plan to do all my digging work with a Toro Dingo or Ditchwitch, anyone ever use these or have any suggestions of which one of these are best in their class.

2. Design for retaining wall. So as I see it I can flatten my slope in the backyard 3 different ways.

a. Back cut into the slope creating a level area and create a approximate 3 foot wall since my garden will be about 10 feet into the slope and 16 feet along the slope.

b. Do the exact opposite and fill the area with dirt and create a 3 foot wall in front.

c. Do a mixture of the two and take dirt from the higher area and push it to the lower area. I will then need a shorter wall where I cut into the hill and a small wall in front.

Of the three choices which would be the easiest. I dont know how much work is involved in compacting dirt so choices b and c could be a lot of work. The area isn't huge which works in my favor. Please let me know what you think thank you for all the help in advance.

Lenny

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner