Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing retaing wall need advice

Posted by dotbowels (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 12, 11 at 15:08

I have included a link to a picture of my current retaining wall that needs to be replaced.

https://picasaweb.google.com/dotbowels/RetainingWall12Mar2011?locked=true#5583281166172026130

I have had 3 different companies tell me they would do it 3 different ways. All 3 have suggested a 95 pound landscaping rock like I see on other walls around town. They recommend different types of material to put under it and how far below the surface the first footing row should be. Some say a base of peat rock, some say broken concrete. Some say geogrid is needing others say no. Some say use mason's adhesive between the rocks, others say not necessary.

I will check all 3 out with the Better Business Bureau.

Any advice anyone can give me from the footings on up as well as the type of blocks to use would be appreciated. There is a gutter that will have PVC or something like it running underground out the full 30 feet to get water away from the foundation.

The current wall is about 36 feet long and starts at about 7' high, at the highest point, 10 feet down the wall it is at 5 foot high.

Any advice anyone can give me on what the best retaining wall should be would be appreciated. I want a level wall that will last a long time. If there is another site that would be more appropriate for this type of post I am ope to suggestions. Thanks Dorothy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing retaing wall need advice

Bad photo link on original post, this should work:

https://picasaweb.google.com/dotbowels/RetainingWall12Mar2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCLLW56q87JCyvAE&feat=directlink#

o

This works:
https://picasaweb.google.com/dotbowels/RetainingWall12Mar2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCLLW56q87JCyvAE&feat=directlink#

I don't post photos, but I have a Firefox add-on, BBCodeXtra, which can turn a web address into a link or post a photo. IIRC, to post a photo from Photobucket, you're supposed to use the html tag they give you rather than the web page address for the photo; I don't know if that's true for Picasa as well. In any case, I can say with confidence that when you go to Preview Message, that's what will be in your post. So if you want a working link, click on the link in Preview Message. If the link doesn't work, it won't work in your post. If you're trying to post a photo, the photo should show up in Preview Message. Hope this helps.

I'm sorry, but I can't offer any advice about the wall.

o

I don't know much about what the people that came out are talking about. You need to check with your town about whether you need a permit & how deep footings have to be,etc. 95 lb. rocks? If they are that heavy & you are stacking them, hope they never fall on anyone. We put up brick, slumpstone, concrete block covered with stucco etc & most retaining walls require about 20 in. or so concrete footing with rebar in it that can go in the wall above. Find out what laws are!

o

dotbowels, I believe the people who know about building walls would probably want to know where you live and/or what USDA zone you're in, because your winter temperatures dictate how deep the footers must be.

You can find your USDA zone by entering your zip code at this site:
http://www.garden.org/zipzone/index.php

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here