Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auroraborelis

Painted asphalt driveway - anyone have any photos?

auroraborelis
12 years ago

I have read that it is possible to paint asphalt, does anyone have any photos of this in practice?

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    12 years ago

See the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: painted playground

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Yardvaark!

I was more thinking about using stamped and colored asphalt as an alternative for a concrete driveway.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    12 years ago

Why would you want to do that rather than a more conventional (tried and proven) paving method? ... saving money?... being creative...?

• tanowicki
    12 years ago

I would think the cost of having it stained and stamped would negate any savings over the cost of concrete. Concrete is also more durable than asphalt.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

From what I've researched it seems that both concrete and asphalt have their advantages and disadvantages.

The advantage I see with Asphalt is that it is resistant to cracking, and that it is more affordable.

• inkognito
    12 years ago

are you wanting to paint and stamp an existing driveway or is it to be new work?

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It would be new work.

Does anyone have experience with this 'street print' asphalt?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    12 years ago

It's not more resistant to cracking. Cracking just shows up differently. Asphalt drives can be every bit as tore up as concrete. I go with Tanowicki. Check the prices of actually having it done, measure in the durability of the competing material, and then you'll know where you stand.

• nandina
    12 years ago

Yes, have had experience with street print asphalt when serving as grounds committee chairman on a large southern plantation. As plantation roads needed resurfacing we had the simple brick pattern print asphalt installed to delineate golf cart pathways across the roadways as an additional safety measure. The price was right. Many residents mentioned to me how much they liked the idea. The process had just been introduced and the company installing it was looking for a showcase spot. Then the downtown area began using the idea for cross walks in its revitalization projects. Very attractive addition to the street scape. Visited there last month and all seems to be weathering well. However, before using this method on a major driveway surface I would want to meet with a company rep and visit some of their large installations.

• susieq07
    12 years ago

Here's our driveway:
    {{gwi:16019}}
    close up, we recently clear coated:
    {{gwi:16021}}

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

susieq07 0 that looks great, who would ever think it is ashpalt?

How long have you had it so far?

• whitecap2
    12 years ago

That's smashingly unconventional.

• drtygrl
    12 years ago

Its deja vu week on the LD forum!

• susieq07
    12 years ago

Nooo, this is a concrete overlay on top of plain old concrete.. someone mentioned concrete vs. asphalt..so I posted mine.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    12 years ago

Susieq, Is that real wallpaper? I'm betting that you're in Florida! In no other place does art meet driveway like it does here. What do you mean by "concrete overlay"? How is this done?

• drtygrl
    12 years ago

Susieq I just meant that I have seen your pictures before: your driveway is truly unforgettable.

• susieq07
    12 years ago

Wallpaper???
    The overlay, is a concrete, resin mix, and quite a process! done mostly by hands (a crew of hands) also expensive, our job was $6,000.
    Yes it is unforgetable, and beautiful, all who see it rave about it here, our home is white trimmed in one of those shades, our roof is the dark blue, no other colors would do!!