Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roadrunner8383

Fast growing privacy screen

roadrunner8383
10 years ago

My husband and I bought our first house last year. I really like the house, but I hate our backyard because it does not have any privacy. It is sloped and so our neighbors on all sides can see into our yard. There is also a small creek behind my yard that makes the soil that runs along the back of my fence extremely moist. I have a 6 foot wood fence on the sides of my backyard, and the back fence is a 4 foot chain link fence. I live in Northwest Arkansas. Zone 6.

I would like to plant something fast growing that would provide some privacy. I have been considering green giant arborvitae and also bamboo.

I am worried that if I was to get a clumping bamboo that the height would not provide enough privacy, and it would also take years for it to fill in. I was considering a Fargesia Robusta for clumping. I know that there are some running Phyllostachys varieties that would provide a privacy screen sooner, but I don't know which one would be best for my zone and not overtake my yard (or my neighbors' yards). Although, I doubt my neighbors would care as they aren't really into upkeep. Yet enough reason I would like a privacy screen.

I really like the Green Giant Arborvitae but I wonder if they would really grow as fast as they say?

Any suggestions or opinions would be much appreciated. If anyone has any better ideas than GG Arborvitae or Bamboo for privacy I am open to those as well.

Thank you

Comment (1)