Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jddawg37

Ideas for ditch

jddawg37
11 years ago

I have about 200 ft of ditch separated at the 100 foot mark by my driveway. The angle of the slope is about 45 degrees but the dirt is not rich or nutritional. Over the years, the ditch has started to erode. I want to cover it with something but need some "expert" ideas about my options. Rock may be too expensive. I have tried some low ground covers like juniper but that hasn't worked out well. I also like ivy but do not know if it can tolerate sun all day like this ditch gets. Maybe I should plant sod over it. I have attached a photo and appreciate all of the ideas I can get.

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is there irrigation? Are you looking for something for ditch only or also the slope leading to the ditch? Ivy (Hedera helix) is happier with a little shade. it can grow in sun if it gets irrigation and it might take a little more fertilizer. Weeds would need to be dealt with ahead of time and during or ditch would become a weedy mess. Can't see that "rock would be any help to you as it will not control weeds. Irrigation is key for establishing any plant, including sod.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 23:10

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    11 years ago

In most cases - including yours, based on the picture - sodding it over to match the adjoining grass is the only thing that makes sense to me. Why would you want to draw attention to the ditch by making it different than the grassed area? How deep is the ditch - i.e. is it dangerous to mow the grass there? That's the only reason I could understand for using something other than grass. Grass is generally very good for erosion-control.

• pls8xx
    11 years ago

The only problem you mention is erosion. While you don't indicate where the erosion is, the photo suggests that it is not erosion along the flowline of the ditch, but in the ditch sideslope carrying water from the lawn area to the bottom of the ditch.

The premium treatment for erosion control in your climate and area is Bermuda grass. A dense stand of Bermuda can stabilize the slope with a minimum of maintenance and cost, PROVIDED that the grass is not cropped lower than three inches, and four is better.

To be successful there are some things you will need to consider and possibly correct; soil, ditch slope, and imperfections in the grading of the lawn along a 10 strip adjoining the ditch.

Soils. You live in an area that may be prone to acid soils. If this is the case you need a soil test and recommended lime applications to correct the ph to 6.5 to 7.0. See your local extension agent for help with this. Another important consideration is surface permeability. In the summer when the grass most needs water, rain tends to come in heavy but short durations. high surface permeability captures more water and minimizes loss from runoff. This is especially important if the soil has a high clay content near the surface.

The ditch slope should be no steeper than 3 to 1, 3 or more feet in horizontal distance for each foot in height. Trim the top of the ditch bank back where needed to achieve this.

Slope imperfection. As water flows across the lawn area toward the ditch, high and low points cause the water to gather in greater depths is some places. As the water reaches the ditch it's important that the water be spread in an even depth for flow down the ditch slope. This can be achieved with minor adjustments in a 10 ft strip along the ditch.

Begin work on the strip first. Apply any needed lime and fertilizer. Buy 5 cu. yd. of sharp concrete sand and have it dumped in two or more piles along the ditch on the lawn side. If Bermuda is not the current grass, apply seed or better yet, prigs. Once you have some Bermuda growing crop the grass to 2 inches and apply 1 inch of sand to the strip, hand raking it to a smooth uniform surface. The sand improves surface permeability and the smooth surface serves to keep the water evenly spread. Provide irrigation to promote fast growth. You may want to do this in sections. After the grass has grown above the sand, go back and add additional sand to fill any low areas. Bermuda will easily tolerate 3 inches of pure sand at the surface.

Done correctly, you should soon see vigorous growth in the strip. You're now ready to fix the ditch slope. Begin by correcting any part that is steeper than 3 to 1 and fill any eroded areas. Provide irrigation for the slope. A soaker hose in the grass strip about 2 ft from the ditch bank works well. As the Bermuda spreads down the slope apply up to 1 inch of sand to the slope. Monitor and repair any spots of erosion until the grass provides a dense cover.

Once it is established, the slope should be stable and require nothing but mowing. It's even OK if the grass goes dormant in the summer for lack of rain. But never mow the grass shorter than 3 inches.