Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara108_gw

Need help with entry focal point

barbara108
14 years ago

I need help creating a focal point that will direct guests to our main entrance. There are 3 constraints:

1. You can't see the front of the house as you approach. The front of the house faces east. The street is on the west, behind the house. The driveway enters from the west and curves around to a east facing garage which is sited north of the house.

2. The property has a steep slope to the east, limiting an eastward approach. A 5' wide sidewalk runs from the east gate to the north parking area. There is a 10' wide planting area along the east and north fence line (bordering the sidewalk and parking area).

3. A small north service gate by the garage is more visible than the east sidewalk and gate but it leads to side door so is not suitable as a main entry.

I am considering building a trellis where the east sidewalk meets the north parking area and a matching trellis at the east gate. This would provide a vertical dimension and a focal point when approaching the house from the driveway. I would use plants to draw attention to these areas and away from the small service gate by the garage. But would this solve my problem?

I'm considering extending the parking area (northeast of the sidewalk) about 20'. This would direct guests to park near the north trellis entrance but it would also require a 4' retaining wall to support the parking area. It's quite an investment but I'm willing to do it if it would make a difference in the overall curb appeal.

I'd love any suggestions.

Comment (1)