Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Filled in Swimming Pool Does Not Drain Well

Posted by anise-hyssop 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 16:30

I moved into this house at the end of last summer. It has a filled in swimming pool in the front yard, a 14' x 24' oval. There are some plants growing there--ferns, salal, clover, a groundcover, a shrub. This winter, with the Puget Sound rains, I see that the pool drains very poorly. The water peeks through the soil in the low spots, almost up to the rim of the pool. it does drain--very slowly--but there's always new rain to refresh it. I imagine come summer, it will drain out completely, but I'm not positive. You can see in the picture how the previous owners put some rock in the low spot--and I thought it was just decoration! All the neighbors say the previous owners broke up the bottom of the pool, but obviously not well enough. Now I know why the little cherry tree in the middle of it is dying.
I was hoping to make this my main year round veggie garden space--full sun all day. And it's the best space on the property. Any suggestions? I don't have the resources to have it excavated and redone. I'm considering raising the soil a foot in beds, or, perhaps waiting for it to drain and dig down in order to knock out some of the sides. I'm concerned the water will just stay sponged in the pool area and not drain out the sides into the more hard packed surrounding soil, even if part of the sides were missing. I appreciate any advice or experience you can share with me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Filled in Swimming Pool Does Not Drain Well

• Posted by fori CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 22:15

That looks like a mess to deal with! Cranberry bog maybe? =D

The pool forum guys might be able to help you identify what your pool is (was) and maybe recommend a course of action. I have a feeling it's going to involve a lot of labor.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/pools/

o

Wow. I'm used to seeing people break up the bottom of the pool, then jackhammer the sides down into the hole. Given that it looks like your bond beam is completely intact I wouldn't be at all shocked to learn they filled in an almost intact shell. Holy crap.

I guess if there's no budget to rectify it you could, as a short term measure, build yourself some raised beds on it. But that's going to be one heck of a mosquito breeding ground.

o

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!!

Poor winter drainage is a fact of life in the Puget Sound area. One of the ways to work around poorly draining areas is to convert them into rain gardens. These collect run-off during the rainy season and disperse it through the soil via plantings. Ideally this is done without any sort of side containment (like your old pool exhibits) other than the contour of the land. I might want to investigate hiring some muscle to break out portions of the side barrier if possible.

You can also turn this into more of a garden feature by incorporating it into the end of a dry stream bed (or seasonal dry streambed), with suitable plantings both along the streambed and in the 'pool'.

As to any mosquito issues.......wetness is very seasonal here in the PNW. Typically, it is dry as a bone through most of the summer when mosquitos are present and breeding. Unless the former pool/pond doesn't drain at all, I doubt you have much to worry about in that regard.

Here is a link that might be useful: King County rain garden resources

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here