Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcandie

Need suggestions for bed in front of fence

DCAndie
10 years ago

I'm brand-new to gardening, and have found this web site to be a ton of help in the past few months! I recently purchased a home that had very little done in the way of landscaping. There is a wooden fence to the side of our property, with about 2 feet of flower bed in front of it, set back a few more feet from the sidewalk.

When we bought in August, it looked like it had absolutely nothing growing except for 2 green bushes on either side. To fix it up, I had the "great" idea to plant some lavender in the beds there, thinking it would be pretty and low-maintenance. Then, perhaps mistakenly, I also bought some red poppy seeds, thinking I could somehow intersperse them and give the whole area some much-needed color. However, now that spring has sprung, I see there are bulbs popping up in that area. I hesitate to just pull them all up to make way for my lavender seedlings, because I think (?) they are tulips and will probably look lovely when they bloom. However, I know that once they are done blooming, the area will go back to looking dead and empty throughout summer and fall. My question is -- what do "normal" gardeners do in this situation? Is planting the lavender around those bulbs possible, and then I can just uproot them after they wilt and replant the bulbs somewhere else in fall? Is the thought of doing lavender AND poppies in that small flower bed just an bad idea anyhow?

I know this is such a simple project, but I'm really at my wit's end trying to figure out what to do with that small space! Any suggestions would be so welcome...

Comments (4)