Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need suggestions for bed in front of fence

Posted by DCAndie VA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 16:44

I'm brand-new to gardening, and have found this web site to be a ton of help in the past few months! I recently purchased a home that had very little done in the way of landscaping. There is a wooden fence to the side of our property, with about 2 feet of flower bed in front of it, set back a few more feet from the sidewalk.

When we bought in August, it looked like it had absolutely nothing growing except for 2 green bushes on either side. To fix it up, I had the "great" idea to plant some lavender in the beds there, thinking it would be pretty and low-maintenance. Then, perhaps mistakenly, I also bought some red poppy seeds, thinking I could somehow intersperse them and give the whole area some much-needed color. However, now that spring has sprung, I see there are bulbs popping up in that area. I hesitate to just pull them all up to make way for my lavender seedlings, because I think (?) they are tulips and will probably look lovely when they bloom. However, I know that once they are done blooming, the area will go back to looking dead and empty throughout summer and fall. My question is -- what do "normal" gardeners do in this situation? Is planting the lavender around those bulbs possible, and then I can just uproot them after they wilt and replant the bulbs somewhere else in fall? Is the thought of doing lavender AND poppies in that small flower bed just an bad idea anyhow?

I know this is such a simple project, but I'm really at my wit's end trying to figure out what to do with that small space! Any suggestions would be so welcome...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need suggestions for bed in front of fence

A picture would help, plus information on soil and light conditions - which direction does the bed face?

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 22:28

Let it all grow and see what happens. Then if you don't like the results, adjust for next year. I think your lavender idea has merit, especially to help disguise the fading bulb leaves which must be allowed to dry in place in order to produce flowers next year. And poppies too, why not? Give it a chance, what have you got to lose?

o

Thanks!
Sorry, I attached a photo and it showed on the preview, but somehow it didn't post. I'll try again.
* Flower bed faces west
* It seems to get a lot of sun
* I'm not sure about the soil conditions -- it doesn't appear to have much clay, compared to other parts of our yard. You can't see it in the photo, but it's actually located at the top of a slight incline, so it should have pretty good drainage, I think.

Catkim, would you suggest putting the lavender in the back of the bulbs? Interspersing the lavender and poppies, or doing one in front of the other? Does this sort of thing matter as far as how they will grow, or is it just coming down to personal preference? Thanks for the encouragement, I'll give it a shot.

o

Got it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here