Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscape designing for passers

Posted by Hecht none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 16:50

Hi all, once I got this information that there is some old guideline on landscape designing that encourages growing a lawn that gets marked on the ways people mostly walk (leaving footprints and worn grass) in other to better build a stepping stone pathway where people actually is interested in passing...
Can someone recommend me a reference on this? It's to a research I've been doing...

Thanks in advance...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscape designing for passers

I don't know of a resource that explains what you are looking for. If I understand it, you are talking about using existing pedestrian traffic patterns to determine where pathways are and should be located. I think this might be useful if you are designing walkways for a college campus, but if it's just for your yard, I think you'd be better off just figuring out where people will walk based on where the things that they will need access to, are located. You might be better off explaining what you are trying to accomplish ... and possibly show a picture of the pertinent part of the site.

o

I think there is merit in using/considering people's natural traffic patterns to shape pathways - if only to stop making silly (IMO) wiggly paths! People walk from Point A to Point B in either more-or-less straight lines or in a gentle curve, depending on where A and B lie in relation to each other. They do not walk in 'wiggly' lines unless there are significant obstacles in the way and then they find the path of least effort. In planning the paths in my yard I looked at the path both people and our dogs normally take to get to the various destination points in the garden. All the paths are either straight lines or straight lines with gentle curves to go around corners.

Stepping-stone paths are dreadful things from a disabled-access point of view - I would never use them and think they should never be used in public places.

o

Excellent points both about the pointlessly wiggly lines ... and stepping stones for disabled!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 12:39

Stepping stones for everyone - when you are walking on small surfaces with unpaved ground between you have to look down the whole way to see where to place your feet. This eliminates looking around and enjoying the garden as you are passing through - unless you stop and stand on one of the stones, as though it were a rock in a river, and take in the view at that point.

Solid paving, where the stones or other material have no large gaps between is much more flowing and practical.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here