Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help balancing front of house

Posted by pumpkin22 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 16:59

We just moved into a new house. The first floor windows are not in line with the second floor windows and feels off balance to me. I was thinking a small tree or tall bush on the left corner of the house might help with this? Any other ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help balancing front of house

Probably. Yeah.

o

I like it! I was thinking that the 2nd story windows have shutters, and maybe you could just nail on faux shutters creating a third window on the left, but a tree is far easier!

Just be sure it isn't one with invasive roots!

Suzi

o

for this application, I would look at a tree that maxes out in the 12' - 15' height range, stays on the narrow side, and then keep it "bonsaid" if it has ideas about growing out of bounds.

o

Perhaps consider adding architectural foam cornices over the first door windows, painted to match the second floor shutters.

Great looking home! I googled architectural foam cornice, many pages of sources, listing one of them for you.

I bought some several years ago, added them above windows and garage in the front, and repeated this in my back. Added a subtle but handsome look.

Here is a link that might be useful: examples of foam cornices

o

Wow! Nice link. Sample is free, but $20 shipping? A little outrageous! Huge turn-off. Lots of nice examples, but in reality, for this situation, I think a small tree is a better option.

I read this forum because we bought a huge gorgeous neglected home on a short sale, and I look for ideas and share mine. I haven't posted pics yet because how do you do that with 1.4 acres?

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

Suzi

o

desertdance, bet you could find supplier somewhere near you that deals in the architectural foam. I love the pieces I got - they really dress up an otherwise very ordinary home. Lucked out and found them at a Home Renovation warehouse.

Post your pics. We love pics.

o

Thanks so much for this! I love both ideas. We are going to add flower boxes, but I never thought of the cornices. That would be a great touch.

o
small side yard

I have a small house on the west side on the lot line i have white vgnyle fence and then there is a 3 foot flower bed next to the fence and there is 5 feet of grass and then a 3 foot flower bed next to house.
I would like to move the small shrubs i have in both beds and remove the sod in between the beds and plant pinky winky hydrangeas and annabell hydrangeas could this be done and how the beb faces west and im in zone 5a if that helpes
I am new at this and can use all the help possible thank you.

o

I think this can be fixed. I would get a quote on removing the top shudders and adding two new windows on the second floor. These will then line up with the first floor giving you the symmetry you are looking for.

Does this make sense? Get a few quotes and use references.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here