Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
demeron

How to handle laarrge beds

demeron
11 years ago

Hey, all-- I have been working with my LA on our backyard. I was out there with a tape measure and landscape paint trying to visualize it all. Planning to work in stages, but our modest initial outlay should cover the grading, some large boulders to help define the slope above the bit of curving lawn, and some bigger 8-10' trees and larger shrubs to help address the fact that we are dealing with the immediate problem of a massive building looming over the back. (I didn't realize they are planning for an access road in addition to the berm in the 45 feet they've left themselves... no wonder they want to plant the trees at the base. No room.)

There will be very little lawn (my request) and most of the 60'x90' space will be beds with trees and shrubs. Until I can fill those beds, that's a lot of ground to keep covered and weeded. I will start planting groundcovers but it's going to take a while to get to it all. I know Preen is often recommended but I don't want to use it for health reasons. I put cardboard under my mulch last fall but am rather dismayed by the amount of cardboard our fierce winds unearthed. Any suggestions I might be missing?

For fun, here is my plant list:

layered behind the bit of someday-maybe-flagstone patio:

Franklin's Gem boxwood, Twist and Shout Hydrangea, Hoop's blue spruce

Autumn Twist Encore azalea, hemlock

Cayuga viburnum

At the back--

Edith Bogue Southern Magnolia beside my trio of 15' Green Giant arborvitae-- I was hesitant to plant those GG, but they shrugged off the wind and went to town. They were six feet six years ago.

For a windbreak in the NW corner-- five Vanderwolf's Limber Pine

It will be such a help to have the structure and the big plants in place. Hope everything does well! I've never had any landscaping installed for me before... I feel so grand :)

Comments (3)