Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

Double Dare You

..to figure this one out! There are pool pipes under that gravel, so no trees allowed. Yes, when that house was built 30 ...way before my time...years ago, someone fudged on the lot line rule. What on earth will be at least 12 ft. And pool pipe safe? After dismissing potted bamboo, i just gave up and try not to look at this side yard. I'm now re- energizes......Any dare takers out there? Thanks for looking.

Comments (13)

• aloha2009
    11 years ago

OK, I'll bite.

Though I have some questions, my first thought was how stark the wall is. Could you faux paint it, where it blends more with the outdoors?

Questions, how tall is the wall?

Could you expand on what you meant by 12' & pool pipe safe? I have an idea, but don't want to assume.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, aloha. I'd love to get your thoughts. Not all of our yard is this hideous. Wall is 4 ft tall and is on the ' utility' side of the house. On the other side it's covered with ivy , and by shrubs. Ugly wall once had a climbing rose. It was pretty while blooming, but didn't begin to reach the height needed here. The wall is stark and ugly due to my all or nothing attitude toward it. I want it hidden , along with the neighbors house....well, as much as is possible. The pool equipment is at the back , with pipes that run along the wall, under the ( gravelled) ground. Therefore, no podacarpus, etc. prrhaps tall trees or shrubs in a few huge boxes?

• aloha2009
    11 years ago

I'm not understanding the items you put in quotes. You would be easier to understand if you spell things out instead of assuming everyone understands what you are talking about. I'm thinking what you are trying to convey might be more regionally understood. BTW what zone are you in?

I'll try again with questions. What do you mean by 12' & pool pipe safe? What do you mean by "utility'? When you say "other side" is that the other side of the area, or other side of the yard?

Perhaps a drawing of the dimensions of the area, along with what has to stay (pool equip) and any plantings you'd like to keep would help. A rough sketch of the entire backyard, may lead to answers too.

We had a utility area on the side of our house that I kept very simple but tucked away. We put short evergreens at the "entrance" and a tall evergreen a little ways out. This way the area would be camouflaged whenever anyone looked. We could then store bulky items, though we ultimately never did. It was so tucked away though, I rarely remember ever going down to that area. Perhaps your's is more in the line of sight.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry. Had no idea i was making so little sense. I am in coastal Ca., zone 10. Utility side means just as it does to you. What little is stored there is at the very end ( far right) , behind pool eqipment. Lot sizes being what they are here, nothing is tucked very far away. I'd like to make it more attractive, and partially screen that too- close house . That house is also visable from my windows in an upper room, so a plant of 12 - 15 feet would be helpful. The existing wall is 4 feet high. I thought of adding a trellis with vines to that wall , but dh isn't keen on that idea. All along the wall , underground, are pipes that run from the pool equipment ( out of the pic on far right) to the pool. This is pertinent only because roots could be an issue there. Sooooo, guess that leaves trees In pots, trellis addition to fence, or trees/ shrubs in ground, with gentle roots. I' d prefer the last. Thanks for taking time for me.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Do you have a copy of Sunset Western Garden Magazine? It's my bible! Not sure about roots, but Italian Cyprus grow tall and thin, and could hide the neighbor. You'd need a few of them.

There are so many trees around our pool pipes and equipment, I'm wondering about your fear. We've always had pools, and this house has queen Palms, oleander, and whatever they planted on the golf course.. all by the pool!

The new house has sago palms near the pool and waterfall, and huge pines and junipers near the equipment.

The pool has been like that since 1987 with no visible problems, and the only pipe leak was where landscapers removed a tree and carelessly chopped through a pipe.

Good luck!
    Suzi

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, suzi. as you can see, roots have been,and are currently, a problem for our pool pipes :>( I think we are now a bit paranoid ...DH especially, as he 's the digger/ fixer. This want-it- now lament for a privacy screen is a cry for help from so many, and posted here so often, it's gotta be a boring snooze of a question. Yes, Sunset is my ' bible' too, but it can't be the answer in all situations, especially when taking personal tastes into consideration, along with everything else. Like most, I posted with fingers crossed, cuz you just never know what generous posters may have to offer, but not expecting a miracle. Pretty great to take the time to reply with your ideas...GW- ers are the best!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Our new project...sigh

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

I'm afraid the above picture does not really explain the pool pipe/roots fear. You're not saying that roots broke the pipe, are you? It looks more like a digging accident and with a little more care, much pipe breakage is avoidable. Also, any breaks are pretty easily fixed. And once everything is in place, you could go quite some time before having to "mess with" it. Also, there are differences in PVC pipe. If "thin wall" pipe has been used anywhere, it's very easy to damage with a shovel. If schedule 40 has been used, one can avoid most breakage, if hand digging. I, too, think the fears about the pipe and roots of the very small "trees" you would need are somewhat overwrought. Since it seems like you know the depth of your pipes, you might be able to minimize much root issues with some carefully placed root barriers which would force roots to grow down farther in the pipe "zone". Does the area get enough sun to grow Juniper? Some I've dug had surprisingly meager root systems. Strategically placed 'Skyrocket' Juniper might be useful to you. If conditions are not right for that, surely there are other 12' ht. "trees" or shrubs that could work for you.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for jumping in , yardvaark! Nope, not a digging mishap, just a leaking pipe to be replaced. The pic is just to show how deep the pipes are ( though you cam"t see it). The roots in this area (10-15 feet away from area discussed here) were from a large, unknown tree and made for a bear of a digging job for my poor guy. But, I'll bet you are correct. I was exaggerating the concern. The right tree(s) planted with a root barrier just might be okay. At this point I should jump over to the tree forum, but if you will stick with me a little longer, I'd like more of your ideas re. Trees with gentle roots. I'd love a 'fluffy' ( vs. stiff) evergreen , maturing to 25 feet and minimim of 15 feet. I see 12' won't be enough . Area is on full sun. Ficus would be so nice..... if only!!

• catkim
    11 years ago

Fortget about trees over pipes, bad idea. Build a better, taller fence. Likely the legal limit is 6 feet above grade. After it is inspected, then you might choose to add some 2 to 3 feet of dense (less see-through) lattice. Don't plant anything on it, or it will easily come down. Your neighbors don't want to look at your pool any more than you want them to look. Trust me, the feeling is mutual. Just build a fence, and make the rest of the garden (away from the pipes) attractive. Life will go on, even if you have to see the house next door as you float weightlessly in your deep blue pool.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

Respectfully, Catkim, I must disagree. Maybe if you explained why trees by sealed pipes is categorically a bad idea, I might be willing to agree with you that it's worth sacrificing a view that could otherwise be changed. But just saying it's bad without giving any reason does not incline me to agree. I realize that digging to fix a pipe where there are tree roots can be a pain (that can be lessened with some digging experience and using proper tools and techniques.) But, if properly installed and of high quality to begin with, most pipes and wires can live their life underground, without failing or being dug up, in spite of "tree" roots in the vicinity. We live with it all the time. In this case, we're using the word "tree" while we're probably talking about what most people would term a large "shrub." Being always unhappy with a view that can be improved with little (if any) risk to pipes seems like a high price to pay for what can probably be easily and safely changed.

• jfacendola
    11 years ago

Kind of stumbled onto this post searching for a totally unrelated topic, but here is my 2 cents. While you are digging up the pipes to repair, could you put in some sort of rigid barrier around the pipes and back fill with gravel? It would make future repairs as easy as uncovering the top layer of gravel and lifting out the rigid cover. It would sort of be like making a french drain except only using a 1/2 diameter piece of corrugated pipe, you could even line the trench with landscape cloth to ensure you keep roots out. I don't know if you can buy 1/2 sections of corrugated plastic drainage pipe, but some of the smaller diameter flexible pipe should be easy enough to cut with some snips. It will be some extra work now, but sell it to your man as making any future repairs root free (and you get to plant stuff for privacy). I don't think you said how much distance you have from the pool pipes and your desired planting location. You will need a couple of feet to plant anything, as you won't be able to plant on top of the pipes with this idea. Have you thought of putting in some type of palm? Pretty much perfect plants for a narrow space, as they never get any wider once they start growing up. Palms are also ok with having their roots crammed into small places, and have pretty simple root systems for their size. I will attach my awful attempt to draw a cross section of what I am rambling on about above.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Jfacendola...not a bad drawing at all, and how nice of you to bother!! I will definitely show this to 'the man" :>) as not my field.
    Catkim, i agree that a taller fence/ trellis would be the safest, but as yardvaark put it so perfectly ".....: Being always unhappy with a view that can be improved...." Had a designer here today who agrees with yv, and will research best shrubs/ trees . It won't happen overnight, but I promise to post
    When the job is done. Huge thanks for your help.
    Marti