Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to get rid of grass and building a retaining wall

Posted by supaflyz houston (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 18:35

My mom have a pretty nice backyard except for this one ugly spot. The grass is growing everywhere. She wants to clean out the grass and build a retaining wall. We already have a lot of bricks. However, she don't want to kill the palm trees. They have been there for about 5 years and is thriving. She want to clear all the grass out, put in new fertilizer and soil and grow some perennials in the spot. She also want to clean the grass around the area, and put in a concrete slab and a trellis with vines over it and put some chairs under it. We have attempted to clean out the grass, but they always grow back. Is there any product to clean out the grass for good and not kill the new plants? .

Here are the pics of the spot.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

This is the picture of the two trellis we have so far. I don't have any program on how to design a landscape design.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to get rid of grass and building a retaining wall

Yes I'm thinking of doing that. The dirt is kind of compact do you think I could just take the grass out with a shovel. I took a lot out today but some of them have that deep white root that just goes under really deep. So I should use a tiller to till out most of the grass. Then put some kind of plastic tarp or something to prvent the weed from growing. Then put on a layer of mulch. Then pour the soil over and start building the retaining wall then add perennials. Do you think one layer of plastic is enough?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here