Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help! Landscape Design

Posted by jbc1-jax none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 18:42

Thanks for your help. The issue: Building a new home, have home plans done, but need help on landscape design. Question:

1) How much is the fee for service for landscape designing? How is is calculated? (Just for design, I can do the install/planting myself)

2) If I wanted to design it myself, what would be the best approach?

Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help! Landscape Design

Fees will vary widely from location to location and with the experience and reputation of the designer. They are often calculated by the hour but some will quote a fixed price once they have an idea of the scope of the project. You should look for an independant designer - those associated with larger businesses or nurseries often market the design as the hook to sell the contracting services and plant material. Having just a set of plans drawn up with you doing all the work and acquiring all the materials yourself is one of the least expensive ways of pursuing a landscaping project....designer's fees could be as little as a couple hundred bucks depending on the size of the property and complexity or can escalate to several thousands for more elaborate situations. It is the labor and materials that really add up!

If you want to tackle the deisgn yourself, I'd suggest getting a couple of good how-to books on home landscaping and at least one textbook on basic design principals from a library or home improvement store. The more you know and become familiar with the process, the better the result will be. Landscape design is not rocket science but it does require some basic knowledge and a certain amount of creativity.

Good luck!!

o
RE: Please Help! Landscape Design

I paid $250 for a plan from a garden designer at a local nursery which we used to landscape the front.

I'm getting work done for the back so the plan is part of the overall cost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here