Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pintopkp

Planting ideas

pintopkp
11 years ago

Hello all,

We moved into our house about 5 years ago; place was a fixer upper with an absolute disater of a landscape (mostly overgrown weeds; house was abandoned for about a year). This season, I finally want to actually plant something in my beds, but I'm fairly clueless as to what to do. I do know that I want some nice red/maroon leaved shrubs in the mix to play off the gray and blue of the house. I'd like to have a variety of things as well as maybe some sort of ground cover (there's a couple of sprouts of blue vinca minor currently popping up). The three small boxwoods in the front will be removed and planted elsewhere. Could someone give me some tips/direction? I'd greatly appreciate it. I live in Northern Westchester County NY (southeastern part of the state). Thanks very much.

Comments (3)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Heuchera comes in all kinds of colors, and there are some low Amaranthus.

• Jowz
    11 years ago

I'm going crazy reading on Heucheras. So lovely and seem to do well in a wide range of zones and light conditions.

Personally I have rhododendrons underneath the front window of my house. They are easy to care for (some pruning to control height) and mine stay evergreen.

So how about that closer to the house and some lower red/maroon bushes like a Dwarf Nandina with some Heuchera? Someone can keep me honest, but I think all these are evergreen through cold NY winters - which is nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhodondendron and Heuchera pic

• pintopkp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!