Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscaping for Privacy and Noise Reduction

Posted by stiltz1 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 18:45

My home faces a busy street and I would like some planting suggestions to keep noise out as well as create some privacy. That said I would like to keep the trees, shrubs etc. under 8' tall.

I have a block wall 3' tall x 40' that runs along the front of my property line. My goal is to create a private space in the front that in addition to blocking out noise and lookers will also be stylish and tasteful. More or less i would like something that does not necessarily look like a typical hedge while also providing the privacy of a hedge.

I have considered the following;

Chinese Privet.
Tri colored myrtle
Nellie Stevens Holly
Cryptomeria

Ultimately, I would like a combination of plantings such as these while keeping the yard looking symetrical. I'm just not sure if I should plant one or two types or some sort of combination.

Can someone give me suggestions even if they are shrubs/trees different from that I have listed?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscaping for Privacy and Noise Reduction

It may impact your choices to know that plant material has very little effect on noise reduction and that a single plant width hedge or screen will have virtually no effect, regardless of plant choice. The only way to effectively block noise is a solid surface - a fence or wall - and one of sufficient height.

FWIW, Chinese privet is an invasive species in many parts of the country and I'd avoid planting this if it shows this predilection in your area. And Cryptomerias develop into pretty good sized trees and shearing or hedging them to maintain a height of 8' is not a good idea. There are dwarf or low growing forms but they tend to grow very slowly as well.

Have you checked with local garden centers about what they might recommend appropriate to your location?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 12:29

Raise the height of the wall, if possible.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 2:55

As has already been said, plants alone will not attenuate noise. Even an 8 foot tall solid wall will do no more than deflect some noise, but you will still hear it. In your situation, all you can do is visually screen the traffic, but if you want to drown out the noise, you'll need to add a counteracting white noise such as falling water or rustling of bamboo foliage, etc.

Personally, I find a hedge of one type that is well kept to be more tasteful than one that alternates species, unless they are done in a more organized fashion of block plantings that may overlap or be staggered. Symmetry tends to correlate better with uniform plantings, and a trimmed hedge softened by a contrasting lower or taller natural form is an easier way to get a natural look contrasted against an architectural backdrop hedge.

Don't count on plantings to do anything in the way of noise reduction, add your own more pleasant noise instead to drown it out.

If you were able to add a 3 to 4 foot tall berm between you and the street and had a solid 5 foot wall at the top of the berm, along with trees/shrubs/or bamboo that rustled in the wind, you'd also fare better at reducing the decibels inside your hedge/wall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here