Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
titus175

Attempt to landscape a bank need some input

Titus175
10 years ago

This is a bank that I have tried several times to grow grass. Only to have the dry summer heat burn it out regardless of my regular watering effort. I would like to try to grow some ground cover that is 2-4 in high. More than one kind if possible. There is a Japanese Maple I would like to grow some Painted fur under but not sure if this is a good idea??. Any suggest or ideas for this side of my home I am all ears.

Then where the heck to buy them?

This post was edited by Titus175 on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 14:16

Comments (9)

• Titus175
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2nd photo

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

are you looking for feedback on the possible listed plants? Hopefully, you are observing them locally to see how they do throughout the year...?

On the retaining wall in the background of the first photo, there is a groundcover spilling over the wall that looks like it's doing well. It wouldn't be good?

• User
    10 years ago

Gro Low Sumac.
    Look up on internet.
    Great for errosion too, no maintance.
    Grows fast.

• Titus175
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The wall I not doing any thing with at this time. The line of brown across where you see the dog parking his butt on. Now I have 2 kids ages 8 and 9 plus the crazy dog above. This is the side of my home with the most traffic as well.

• eibren
    10 years ago

The lamium yellow Archangel is very invasive, but pretty, as is ivy, but either of these might be too tall and shade out later additions; besides, they can require trimming to look neat as they can develop some height--or you could plant periwinkle (myrtle, vinca minor), which is much neater and lives forever.

Since you already have several bare spots, you can have the luxury of trying out several plants in those spots before deciding what would work best. It partly depends on how low maintenance you want your bank to be. A neighbor of mine chose to simply heavily mulch a similar bank, adding a few sun tolerant hostas for emphasis.

On the other hand, you could have a lovely rock garden
    in the bare spot where the dog is standing--it could have herbs or flowers or a combination of the two, or possibly (less work) an interesting combination of spreading succulents and things like hen and chicks. You basically plant the plants you like and then artistically position rocks of various sizes between them to act as mulch. As the plants spread, you can reposition the rocks and expand the rock garden in any direction you wish.

Banks like that are a headache to mow or plant. If your budget allows, you may eventually want to consider hardscaping possibilities--some sort of retaining wall with fill behind it to even out that part of your property. Then you could have lovely trailing plants peeping over the edge. Eventually, as you plant more and add humus and mulch, the area will retain more moisture and your plant choices will increase.

I had a dry spot like that in front of my house, with barely visible grass that was always dried out. I enclosed it with small shrubs and allowed leaves to accumulate and break down into humus. The soil is much richer now, and I can add anything I want at this point.

You have the bank as an additional problem. Some simply plant shrubs along such a bank to cover it, but that would require careful positioning and pruning to keep them from growing over the sidewalk, and some sort of vine or myrtle, etc underneath to prevent erosion.

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

I know you were asking about ground cover, but I have to agree with the above poster. This situation really requires a combination of hardscape + landscaping. Obviously this might not be in the budget, but a stone retainer wall is what would make your yard look best and be most functional. I'm not a big fan of groundcover in the north. It's a pain to maintain, leaves get caught up in it, weeds grow through it, and usually ends up not looking too good.

For backyard privacy, since you mentioned this is a busy road, I added arborvitae hedge, then maybe just a fence for the front part to keep it enclosed. Along the house that foundation is blank and detracts from the look of the house. You need to get some foundation plantings in there as well. In the middle I like a small tree, maybe white dogwood to balance the wall.

Good Luck.
    Shawn

• Titus175
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow that is great, what did you use to put that together?

• kimsantini
    10 years ago

I have to agree with the above poster. I think this situation could even work well with more hardscape with smaller elements of landscape. This could even help keep it within your budget and keep the maintenance to minimum.

Here is a link that might be useful: front yard landscaping ideas

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

I use Gimp. It's basically a free, open-source version of Photoshop